Ana's Reviews > Engel

Engel by Grant Palmquist

liked it
bookshelves: horror, rafflecopter, paranormal

I enjoyed Engel quite a lot in the first couple of chapters. Charlie seemed like an average guy with average struggles and I could actually relate to him. He wished his life was different but since he did not like conflict he never did anything about it.
Then we meet Adam, who in a way has a lot in common with Charlie but, unlike feeling tempted by evil, he has a very strong sense of faith.
And that is around the time I stopped enjoying the story as much. Charlie was no longer someone I had interest in see developing because there was no character development. His descent was way too sudden, as well as Adam's ascent, and the ending felt extremely rushed.

David Winograd's narration was overall pleasant, though I found some voice inflections a tad annoying at times, particularly in the first few chapters, when actions were enumerated. Others were spot on, especially when making evil thoughts seem so nonchalant. Who hasn't wished the bad people in their life would go away?
I have to say I did not particularly like the narrator's take on each voice, though. It was difficult to tell who was speaking at times - a character would sound like another, particularly when their emotion changed -, but what I disliked the most was that most characters sounded stupid, almost moronic. I get making 'Seth' sound like that but I don't understand the others. Eddie was particularly bad.
So even though I enjoyed the narrative bits for the most part and felt engaged in the story, I did feel that the tone conveyed to it was almost one of mockery, and I wished it would have been more 'sober', at lack of better word.

Overall I had a good time listening to Engel; even if rushed, there were still some enjoyable concepts in the book, so I will leave the rating at 3 stars.

Disclaimer: I won this audiobook in a Rofflecopter giveaway.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Engel.

April 12, 2015 – Shelved