Rhoda D'Ettore's Reviews > Alone

Alone by Jennifer   Reynolds

This book was recommended to me by a friend, but I put it off because of the post apocalyptic genre. When I think of those kinds of stories, I think zombies eating people or Mad Max/Waterworld type of extreme futuristic elements that barely resembles anything to which we can relate. This book was different. It was about adapting and surviving, about trying to re-build and forming relationships--and knowing who to suspect. Eve is one tough cookie... a loving aunt, a little flirtatious at one point, but she was sure carrying a shot gun around and barking orders from time to time. Love it! Rather than a "there is no way that could ever happen" scenario, this story played out realistically. From the excitement of seeing a plane after years, to the incredibly sad point where wishing on a star meant "I want to survive one more year."

The only reason I even picked up this book was because I saw it on Kindle Unlimited and already read Ms. Reynolds book HIM. THAT is really the kind of book that gripped me in with suspense and drama. It was Reynolds excellent writing style and balance of narration vs. action/dialogue that kept me interested in both. Something Reynolds did in both books that I love... she broke up the stories with "inserts" if you will. In this book news articles intermittently told the tale, whereas in HIM, the patient/doctor therapy sessions did so. It is a refreshing break from the norm.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alone.

Started Reading