Sheila's Reviews > A is for Alibi

A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

Oct 07, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-50-a-year, sue-grafton
Read from October 17 to 22, 2010

I love the vivid, detailed descriptions and the interest twist in the plot. Sue Grafton is very skillful in placing the reader in the plot. I enjoy how she investigates the crime with the limited technology of the 1980's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A is for Alibi.

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman Sheila is this a re-read, or have you never cracked the first book in this series??

message 2: by Sheila (last edited Oct 18, 2010 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheila This is a re-read. I read this book about 15 years ago and have since met the author who is an absolutely lovely person. My goal for 2011 is to read the whole series up to U is for Undertow. I like the 1980s perspective and Ms. Grafton's detailed writing style. I have an autographed copy of N is for Noose(which was for a library discussion group ) and have not read it yet. Some of the comments I have read feel say that her material is a little predictable but I disagree. A is for Alibi and O is for Outlaw are the only of the series that I have read and am looking forward to reading the whole series. Do you know if she has written V is for .... yet?

message 3: by Carol (last edited Oct 18, 2010 02:28PM) (new)

Carol Neman Sheila, I'm so far behind, I don't know about V, but I thought I remembered with a few cells of my brain, hearing something about it coming out soon, but I can't be sure (as my brain is sometimes not accurate).

I, too, have thought about re-reading the whole series, starting with A, as the earlier ones are readily available at any library. I was at a Barnes and Noble booksigning and got tired of standing in line (dizzy, backache) so I got out of line and went to sit down, thinking I wouldn't miss much as I was close to the back of the line anyway. I misjudged, and when I went back to where the line had been, everyone had gone, including Ms Grafton. I was crushed, I had had to buy the book there in order to get her autograph and the sales person offered to trade it for a signed copy, which would be without my name of course, and I (like an idiot) was so angry at myself I said 'no' and would not change my mind although I kept thinking all the way back to the car that I should go back and take him up on the offer. I guess I had it in my mind that sooner or later, someday, I would get to see Sue G. again and would have the book with me, and she would sign it then. I'm still so mad at myself that I haven't read it, haven't even taken it out of the bag they put it in when I bought it. It's like I want to separate that part of my Grafton experience from the other more pleasant experiences of reading her literature.

Sheila I do really enjoy her informal style. She is delightful to read. Don't be so hard on yourself.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman Thanks...I kinda knew you'd say that.