Andie's Reviews > Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances

Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman

Apr 11, 2015

bookshelves: anthologies, 2015-releases, horror, paranormal, suspense

Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite writers, that has never been a secret. I find he has a soothing way of words, and an excellent skill of world-building, with diverse and marvellous characters filling his novels. I also enjoy his short story anthologies. His anthologies are collections of short stories, covering a wide range of genres, sometimes sweet, sometimes reflective, sometimes horrific and sometimes wonderful. Trigger Warning is no different. The term seems to have sprung up on the internet in the last ten years (in mainstream media, at least) and it tends to mean when material requires a consideration warning as some of the content may be disturbing to some observers, depending on their individual circumstances. For example, some people may find stories about strangers in alleyways more disturbing than a story about an empty dog park…but to others, the latter may be more formidable (Welcome to nightvale, anyone?)

Trigger Warning is suitably named- it is an anthology which could be filled to the brim with trigger warnings for it’s content. Gaiman himself calls it a disclaimer:

“There are so many little triggers out there, being squeezed in the darkness even as I write this. This book is correctly labelled. Now all we have to worry about is all the other books, and, of course, life, which is huge and complicated and will not warn you before it hurts you.”

This collection is full of stories, of supernatural room-consuming blobs, the shadow behind the door which you can’t decide is real in the middle of the night, genies and wishes….I just feel like Gaiman can very rarely go wrong in pleasing the audience- whether it is to disturb or bring comfort.

I highly recommend the short story collections to any fan of Gaiman, or those who enjoy fantasy writing. I need to do reviews on his other short story anthologies “smoke and mirrors” and “fragile things”…which means I get to re-read them soon! YAY!

for more of my reviews (including more Gaiman reviews!) please visit

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trigger Warning.

January 17, 2015 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
January 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
April 11, 2015 – Shelved as: tbr-shelf-owned-but-not-read
October 25, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal
October 25, 2015 – Shelved as: suspense
October 25, 2015 –
page 1
0.32% "my all hallows read for this year!"
October 25, 2015 –
page 1
0.32% ""There. Consider yourself warned. There are so many little triggers out there, being squeezed in the darkness even as I write this. This book is correctly labelled. Now all we have to worry about is all the other books, and, of course, life, which is huge and complicated and will not warn you before it hurts you.""
October 26, 2015 –
page 32
October 30, 2015 –
page 68
October 31, 2015 –
page 115
36.98% "the november calander of tales story with the genie was so cute!"
November 13, 2015 –