Sue (Hollywood News Source)'s Reviews > The Fixer

The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

A well written and engrossing book that focuses on Politics. Where do I sign up?

The Fixer easily becomes one of my favorite reads this year. It is without doubt, this book is joining my Top Ten Favorite Reads of this year.

For me the best kind of books is the one that makes me feel intoxicated as if I am drunk in life’s high. The Fixer evokes these feelings for me. I was instantly hooked from the very first eyes I laid on it. There is Barnes’s trademark writing, snark, a group of teenagers bonding, a group of older crowd getting their own interesting, but doubtful spotlight. Aside from all that, The Fixer also explores Politics. There is an alluring portrayal of power, injustice and morality.

It is simply brilliant, and I did not guess any of the twists right.

The Fixer follows the story of Tess Kendrick, who is swept out of her feet by her sister Ivy. From living in her grandfather’s ranch, she now resides in D.C. where power makes the world go round. There she started attending Hardwicke Academy, a school for D.C.’s elite children. And like the title of this book, Tess quickly becomes a Fixer. In the same way her sister fixes D.C. most elites’ problems.

But when a problem immerged regarding Tess’s newest friend, her family will be put into a test.

Tess the protagonist is someone I immediately identify with. She has a distinct voice and narrative that is mature, yet a reader could still decipher her feisty teenager fire. It is such a delight to read her point of view. There was no moment of falter. She makes the plot rapidly flow. She is a heroine, someone should watch out for. Her legendary silent persona and bite is something no one should miss.

“There are a lot of ways to castrate a bull," I said, my words deliberate and slow. "You can band the balls off, so they shrivel up and die. Or you can take a knife, and slide it just so." I demonstrated with my free hand. "I grew up on a ranch. I know a lot about castrating bulls.”

Besides from Tess, The Fixer has a rather large cast. Her sister Ivy, who is a formidable fixer. Adam, a hottie man next door who comes from a very powerful line. Bodie, Ivy and Tess’s resident driver and bodyguard who talks too much.

Meet Tess’s entourage, Vivie who instantly becomes her friend. Asher, the charming and troublemaker guy who uses obscure words. His twin Emilia, who is very clever and useful. Henry, the disquieting and commanding presence boy.

For one book to have a bunch of characters, it is natural to expect the story cannot accommodate plenty of voices. But, fear not! Because these characters aren’t only here for a casual appearance. They are integrated into the plot with fleshed out depiction. Like I always say familial aspect and a band of friends taking over the world is one of my favorite things. The Fixer gave me all of this desire. There is a heavy emphasis on family love and friendship. I particularly teared up at a few scenes. What a dreamboat.

Compared to Barnes’s The Naturals series, The Fixer is proving itself to her finest work so far. The plot is engrossing. The author deftly made politics even more scandalous. Again, I did not guess any of the twists right. Tada!

I am certain this is my friend’s favorite part so do mine. Romance. If you want a lump of people kissing, you will be dismayed with this part. However, not in the way you think, while this book doesn’t have any skinship to get going, it exudes sexual tension and affection. Evidently this will be explored in the sequel, perhaps with a promise of love triangle?

Bonus: There are two main POC who are integrated into the plot. Yay for that!

Hopefully, this book will open more doors for Thriller-Politics book in YA. I am banking my money on this genre.

To conclude this somewhat long review, The Fixer is a book you should be clamoring your hands to get into!

Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fixer.

April 11, 2015 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 30, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Welcometomylifex this is one of MY most anticipated books of the year and I am so happy you loved it,I can't wait for it

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue (Hollywood News Source) Welcometomylifex wrote: "this is one of MY most anticipated books of the year and I am so happy you loved it,I can't wait for it"

Youre going to love it Laura! Its so good.

message 3: by Eri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eri "exudes sexual tension and affection" let me cry with joy at these words plus I need to meet this asher guy

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue (Hollywood News Source) Eri wrote: ""exudes sexual tension and affection" let me cry with joy at these words plus I need to meet this asher guy"

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT HAHA

message 5: by Eri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eri Sue wrote: "Eri wrote: ""exudes sexual tension and affection" let me cry with joy at these words plus I need to meet this asher guy"

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT HAHA"

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M SURE WILL THIS INFLICT PAIN ON ME

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue (Hollywood News Source) Eri wrote: "Sue wrote: "Eri wrote: ""exudes sexual tension and affection" let me cry with joy at these words plus I need to meet this asher guy"

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT HAHA"

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M SURE WILL T..."

Haha, You will find this pain to be delightful. I'm genuinely partial to everyone so I'm team whatever swing my way.

Paige  Bookdragon I love this book!

Andrew I'm confused about your friends favorite part. So there is romance or am I wrong?

Bookworm09 I love your review!!! And if you really like this book, I suggest The Naturals series by Jennifer! I loved it! So much to where I finished the first 2 in one day each!!!