Kelly's Reviews > The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Oct 07, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle, depressing, fiction, lit, surrealism, want-those-hours-back
Read in January, 2010

You know what this book is? It's Chinese food. As soon as it's brought up you start salivating, almost tasting how delicious each morsel is going to be. The minute you dive in, your body humming with anticipation, that first bite is everything you hoped it would be. But, after awhile, the bites become more forceful, the taste more dull and average, ending with a full belly, but still not feeling full. And the minute you put your fork down and give in to your limit, you know in half an hour you're going to be hungry again.

Now, I could write a review detailing all the shortcomings and accomplishments that Bender managed, but in the end, all this book really was was Chinese food. Good in theory, but ultimately forgettable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

02/01/2016 marked as: read

T.S. Agree. It seemed rushed to me, poorly executed, and not at all thought out, which is unfortunate. The premise was interesting.

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Kelly, Great analogy.

Kelly Telly wrote: "Agree. It seemed rushed to me, poorly executed, and not at all thought out, which is unfortunate. The premise was interesting."

I agree. Fortunately, due to the success of this book, the market is currently saturated with Ms. Bender's unique plot. Maybe one of the spin-offs will be able to more aptly pull off the idea.

Kelly Mike wrote: "Kelly, Great analogy."

Thanks, Mike!

Tria Um. That's a very unpleasant choice of analogy. How would you feel if someone compared food from your home country to a book you disliked in such a way? I understand your analogy because you explained it, but it's still pretty rude.

Kelly Um. Considering food from my home country is used to describe attention-seeking people from Jersey who have the combined IQ of 70 and the morals of that chick from Babylon, I'm pretty cool with it.

message 7: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac Thanks Kelly, that's the best analogy I've read in a while, and I haven't even read the book. Too funny.

message 8: by Ocean (last edited Apr 18, 2014 04:50PM) (new)

Ocean i have not read the book, but now i want to read it even more because i love chinese food, every single bite of it. Tria i agree she is rude with the analogy, but i think it was an attempt at humour. She should have used american food as an example, perhaps pot pie. Maybe someone will now use the idea and be more successful at it.

message 9: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky I haven't yet read this book myself but I couldn't just scroll past this review without saying what a brilliant analogy that was!

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wallace Well, I love Chinese food but your analogy was pretty spot-on if you're talking about the greasy fake stuff found at some "American Chinese" places.

message 11: by Samara (new)

Samara This is such a perfect analogy from reading the reviews, especially because I ate Chinese food yesterday...and I've had this experience many many times with books! Dang, I almost want a book list of books which give me this feeling...but what to call it.

Anyway, I don't think it's offensive at all because what you're referring to is clearly MSG, which is the quintessence of Chinese food.

message 12: by Elisian (new) - added it

Elisian Agree re: shitty Chinese food. As a Chinese person, though, I really call that "disaster American grease trap food" because actual Chinese food is nothing like that.

Carolyn Bignell wow. I thought it was a beautiful read. but then, I was lovingly raised in a home much like the one in book, so I related to that. also, Chinese food is brilliant.

Laura Adams I agree with your review entirely. I kept going hoping she was going to pull off the premise, but it never happened. Ultimately, leaving me feeling empty and unsatisfied.

Carolyn Bignell Kelly go write a book or cook a meal then get a makeover. then, and only then, are you allowed to read and "review" any more books.

Bronwyn Carolyn-I'm pretty sure that profile pic is from a British sit-com and in no way has anything to do with her opinion of a truly forgettable book.

Laura I agree entirelly, and chinese food is the perfect analogy.

Angela Cheung I am Chinese and find this review offensive. I understand you were trying to be funny and get a point across but this "brilliant" analogy is coarse and rude. You've obviously never had authentic, satisfying Chinese food and to broadly use it to bash this book puts down my culture. It is completely unnecessary. Say what you want to say about the book. Leave your opinions of cultural foods out of it.

Kelly Good lord, all this whining over a book review is hilarious. Lets keep things in perspective...I did not bash your culture (but I will definitely tell the CHINESE OWNER of the CHINESE RESTAURANT I visit that his food is NOT "authentic") and that is not me in the profile picture. If you were offended, well, then STOP READING MY REVIEWS! This is not Huffington Post and I have no time for fake outrage.