Andrew Carlson's Reviews > Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

did not like it

I read this book as a comp to my work in progress. I expected this to be a "cancer" book. On that basis, I give it zero stars. This is NOT a "cancer" book.

This book should simply be titled Me and Earl. The dying girl, Rachel, is not a main character at all. She's a secondary, if not tertiary character. There is almost no insight into what she is feeling and experiencing. And she simply gives up her treatment with no explanation. As a childhood Leukemia survivor myself, I find it completely implausible that a teenage patient would simply give up without a fight. Unfortunately, this is how Rachel is portrayed.

Ignoring Rachel and that entire part of the novel, I can say that the narrator's voice is unique. Some may say it is as real as it gets, but I disagree. It's too real. The author tried too hard. If Greg's voice was dialed back to be less snarky, less erratic, and less self-absorbed, it would have been a completely funny book. But it's not.

I find it hard to believe that they are making this story into a movie. If the film resembles the book, it will flop. Maybe not, but I will not pay to see it.

Since the book did hold my interest until the end, I will generously give this book one star.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

April 11, 2015 – Shelved
April 11, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 27, 2015 – Started Reading
April 28, 2015 –
27.0% "Either the author or narrator is trying too hard. (I haven't figured out which. Maybe both.)"
April 29, 2015 –