Sharon's Reviews > The Crooked House

The Crooked House by Christobel Kent

liked it

More of a 3.5 for me, but not quite a 4 star!

This is billed as yet another thriller for "fans of Girl on a Train" - don't worry if you didn't like that, because this is not similar at all. Apart from the thriller genre, there's nothing really in common plot wise.

Alison is the sole survivor of a horrific massacre thirteen years ago that saw the rest of her family wiped out. Born Esme Grace, Alison has been living a new life away from the small close-knit coastal village of Saltleigh, making sure that nobody, not even her boyfriend Paul, knows anything about her past.

When Paul gets an invitation to perform Best Man duties for someone he knows in Saltleigh, Alison takes the opportunity to go back for the first time in over a decade to see if she can shed any light on what really happened the night she survived.

Will anyone remember her? Will anyone know what happened? Someone knows something. And it's up to Alison to separate the truth from local rumours.

This was a good read - it was creepy, it had great atmosphere, the setting was perfect. The sleepy coastal village with evil bubbling under the surface, full of secrets, lies, rumours - it was incredibly well written. However - the reason this goes from a 4 star to a 3.5 star for me is the last few chapters. I found it a bit far-fetched. Not even the plot or outcome in itself - but the fact that this was taking place thirteen years after the initial event. That, to me, was completely unrealistic and I couldn't see why those involved would have waited so long. Considering that the rest of the book was so well put together, interweaving little tales from locals with things Alison remembered - the actual climax was a bit muddled and I had to read it a couple of times. Please don't click this spoiler if you haven't read it, but if you have, I'd love to hear opinions on this: (view spoiler)

Full of interesting characters (watch out for Detective Sarah, one of my favourites) and lots of little interwoven plots, this was a good read that I enjoyed a lot. It wasn't perfect, but it was good and I'd read more by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crooked House.

April 11, 2015 – Started Reading