Rosemary's Reviews > Memories, Dreams, Reflections

Memories, Dreams, Reflections by C.G. Jung

Oct 07, 2010

liked it

Carl Jung dedicated his life to deciphering the subconscious. In this volume he explores his own and comes up with a fascinating narrative. Here is a quote from his preface: “Life has always seemed to me like a plant that lives on its rhizome. Its true life is invisible, hidden in the rhizome. The part that appears above ground lasts only a single summer. Then it whithers away--an ephemeral apparition. When we think of the unending growth and decay of life and civilizations, we cannot escape the impression of absolute nullity. Yet I have never lost a sense of something that lives and endures underneath the eternal flux. What we see is the blossom, which passes. The rhizome remains. . . . In the end, the only events in my life worth telling are those when the imperishable world irrupted into this transitory one. That is why I speak chiefly of inner experiences, amongst which I include my dreams and visions.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memories, Dreams, Reflections.

09/05/2016 marked as: read