Lola 's Reviews > The Start of Me and You

The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, fast-paced, teen-romance, friendship, family

Not incredible but considerably more enjoyable than Open Road Summer.

“Okay,’’ he said, leaning closer to me. ‘‘I have a proposition for you.’’ Dear God, let it be marriage, I thought.

Ah, Young Adult romance! It never ceases to make me smile. True, I find most of them YA love-themed books cheesy and predictable to an extreme point, but there’s also something about them that leaves me feeling… good inside. It’s lovely, it’s fluffy, it’s beautiful and there’s a sort of innocent giddy passion coming from the protagonists that we don’t necessarily see in Adult romance reads. That’s why I keep reading them.

Paige hasn’t had it easy; her parents divorced a couple of years ago and her boyfriend died last year. He fell and drowned… So did Paige’s heart when she heard the news. It can’t be helped – everyone will always connect her to her dead boyfriend, Aaron, and, while she loved him dearly, she is tired of it The Looks. But Ryan understands what she’s going through and how it makes her feel to see all these people with a pitying expression on their faces. Therefore, she decided that this year will be different and quickly made a list of things to accomplish, one of them being her… dating Ryan.

But then she meets Max, with whom she starts feeling a deep and genuine connection. Except… she only befriended him in the first place so she can draw nigh to Ryan.

There’s so much I predicted in this book. The author didn't even try to add a little contemporary twist. And, even when I couldn’t actually properly foresee a certain scene, I still wasn’t surprised when it occurred. But that’s okay; it is not as if I picked this book up to be flabbergasted by turn of events. I wanted a cute story, and that’s what I was delivered.

With an extra consisting of true friendship as theme: In friendship we are all debtors. We all owe each other for a thousand small kindnesses, for little moments of grace in the chaos.

How many times have we read books with characters that are always there for their best friends when need is, know them as well as they know themselves and CARE for them as they would care for their own brother and sister? Girl power, so much girl power!

What disappointed me most was seeing how it took 3/4 of the book for Paige to open up her eyes and heart and see who – between the two boys – she loves truly. And that ending… Very Hollywood movielike. Despite its negatives, The Start of Me and You has a lot going on for itself and I believe will be enjoyed by many!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Start of Me and You.

April 9, 2015 – Started Reading
April 10, 2015 – Shelved
April 10, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara As always, amazing.

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara ^_^ every word started with an A

Lola hahaha true that! Love those little coincidences. Thanks! :)

message 4: by Dali (new)

Dali Great review Lola. I love the title and cover of this book.

Lola Thank you! ooh, I love the cover too! If I were a coverwhore, I'd buy the paperback just for the cover.

Wait, I am a coverwhore.

Lola I meant hardcover. hmm, why did I write paperback.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Oh,you've read this too, Lola!!! Wonderful review and very agreeable thoughts on YA romance.

Lola Aww thank you for reading and enjoying! xoxo

message 9: by Lola (last edited Apr 10, 2015 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lola Yeah ahah it was fast-paced! ^^

message 10: by Dali (new)

Dali Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Oh,you've read this too, Lola!!! Wonderful review and very agreeable thoughts on YA romance."

Coverwhore... LOL. I like that. There should be a club for it. And it's awesome when the inside matches the outside :)

Lola First time you hear of it? ^_^ Love that word ahah, it so applies to my superficiality toward book covers. Aaah no one's perfect. Indeed! :)

message 12: by Dali (new)

Dali Lola wrote: "First time you hear of it? ^_^ Love that word ahah, it so applies to my superficiality toward book covers. Aaah no one's perfect. Indeed! :)"

Maybe I had heard "coverwhore" but hadn't payed much attention. It's not superficial though, more like very natural. Attraction is born from sight. I just so happen to love a cover today but doubt I'll read the book.

Lola That was beautifully said! :)

message 14: by Dali (new)

Dali Lola wrote: "That was beautifully said! :)"

;) Thanks

message 15: by destini mia (new)

destini mia Sounds like something I need to pick up when I need something light ♥ fantastic review, Lola!! :)

Lola Thank you, Mia! xo Yes! The perfect summer read!

message 17: by Nora (new) - added it

Nora Great review Lola-girl!

message 18: by Exina (new)

Exina Nice, honest review, Lola!

message 19: by Jilly (new)

Jilly Yay Girl Power!:) Great review, Lo!

Lola Robokitty2.0(Nora not Dora) wrote: "Great review Lola-girl!"

Thanks Nora!! xo

Lola Exina wrote: "Nice, honest review, Lola!"

Thank you, Exina!!

Lola Jilly wrote: "Yay Girl Power!:) Great review, Lo!"

Yessss xox thank you!!

message 23: by Nora (new) - added it

Nora Lola wrote: "Robokitty2.0(Nora not Dora) wrote: "Great review Lola-girl!"

Thanks Nora!! xo"

Your welcome! I lurve me some cute contemporary:)

message 24: by Sakina (new) - added it

Sakina Great review Lola! Though I have no interest in reading a cheesy cliqué novel, I still won't discard it completely since we all need some light reads every now and then after reading so many Fantasy and complex novels in general!

Lola Yeah, exactly! If there were only one or two existing genres or type of reads in literature, we would get bored pretty quickly. xd Thank you!

message 26: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Wonderful review Lola :-)

Lola Thanks a bunch!!

message 28: by Sarah (last edited Apr 14, 2015 11:12AM) (new) - added it

Sarah Terrific review, Lola!
I've heard there's a lot of slut-shaming and girl hate in Open Road Summer, which has put me off from reading it. Is there any in this book?

Lola Not at all! It was a pretty light and positive read. ^^ Thanks!

message 30: by Pinky (new) - added it

Pinky Amazing review Lola! All your reviews are beautifully written!

Nadia Uhlenhaker I just finished this book, and I couldn't agree more. Perfect review!!!