Daniella (Reading With Daniella)'s Reviews > Ensnared

Ensnared by A.G. Howard

41915343
I loved this, I loved this, I loved this, I loved this, I loved this, I loved this! BUT, there were also some things I did not like. Namely, Jeb. And the ending. But I'll get to that later.

My favourtie part of the book, as usual for this series, was Morpheus. I love him so much! And I love his relationship with Alyssa. All the mischief and secrets, but then the love, care, and protection. It's too perfect.

I really like the plot of the story too. It was so full twists and turns, and suspense, as usual!
And I really like the development we saw between Alyssa and her father in this book. I also liked the mistrust he felt towards Morpheus. I thought it was both sweet and funny, even though I love Morpheus to death. What I didn't like was all the trust her father put in Jeb. I just don't understand what there is to like about him.

Jeb was sooooooo irritating. I mean, I've never been a huge fan, especially when compared to Morpheus. He was a little bit self-centered and arrogant as well as demanding and controlling towards Alyssa. I just didn't like his attitude or the way he treated her as if she was weak and couldn't take care of herself, even though she clearly could. She would be better off without him.

Now, I wasn't wholly satisfied with the ending of the book. (view spoiler)

All in all, this series wasn't perfect, but I still loved it to death and highly, highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ensnared.

Quotes Daniella (Reading With Daniella) Liked

A.G. Howard
“Bah." Morpheus snags a paintbrush. "She should be draped in starlight and clouds, lace and softness. Nothing less should touch her skin." He points the bristles at Jeb. "I saw what you put Thomas in. You are not painting her into one of those goon suits. She is royalty. Dress her like royalty. Give her some glitter... some glitz. And a crown.”

A.G. Howard
“They have both loved you with a child’s love, and now a man’s. It is the child’s love that holds you together . . . cemented by the moments you shared with them that they treasure most.”

A.G. Howard
“I would’ve followed you anywhere,” he mumbles, his voice raw with agony. “All I ever wanted was to spend forever with my best friend. With the girl who gave life to my paintings. But I’m not the one who inspired your mosaics, am I? It was always Wonderland. That’s why you chose him.”
“Chose him? It was a kiss, that’s all—”
“It’s not the kiss. Sometimes words are louder than actions.”
“Words . . . ? What words?”
“The promise you gave him that you couldn’t give me.”

A.G. Howard
“It’s important that he accepts my love for Jeb. I’ll have to tell Jeb the same thing about Morpheus before I’m gone. I will not leave them with lies hanging between us. “I love you both.”

A.G. Howard
“Well, I know what you feel for Jeb. And it’s simple and pure. You two have been friends since the day you met. And it grew into something more. That’s a tangible thing, Butterfly. And so rare. The best kind of love.”

A.G. Howard
“Remember that time you dumped out a whole box of bait?”
I almost smile. It was the summer before eighth grade. Dad bought crickets at the bait shop. “They were screaming for help.”

A.G. Howard
“Is Jeb alive?” I ask Morpheus.
White bleeds into his jeweled markings—the color of indifference. “I didn’t kill him, if that’s what you’re implying.”
“You know it’s not. Could you for once just give me a straight answer?”

He gazes up at the smoky gray sky. “Your mortal is alive and well. In fact, you will no doubt be seeing him very soon.”
Relieved tears spring into my eyes. “So, that means you know where he is?” Is it possible Morpheus took Jeb under his wings after all?
Dad stops stuffing the fabric in the bag, as if waiting to hear the answer.
Appraising his cane, Morpheus growls. “I do know where he is.” Before I can respond, he lifts his eyes to mine, jewels now bordering on emerald green. “I suppose I should be grateful his name wasn’t the first thing that came out of your mouth.”

A.G. Howard
"Please look at me. I missed you. I was so worried about you.”
“Really? Which one of us are you talking to?”
His attention crosses to Morpheus, who smirks conspiratorially.”

A.G. Howard
“So, you’re basically playing the part of Wendy.”
Jeb pauses and glances at me. “Windy?”
“Wendy, from Peter Pan. You’re stitching Dad’s shadow into place.”
Peter Pan was his favorite fairy tale as a child. His mom read it to him every night.
There’s the hint of a shy, boyish grin on his face—the one he used to give me when I’d catch him off guard.”

A.G. Howard
“He stretches languorously under me, and the silvery scar on his abdomen catches the light, that telltale mark from Sister Two when he fought her inside Butterfly Threads just weeks ago. When he almost died to help me and Jeb escape. But I didn’t let him die, because I couldn’t imagine a world without him.
I can’t imagine a future without him, either. Not anymore.”

A.G. Howard
“My precious Alyssa, share reality with me. Give me forever. We will wreak such beautiful havoc together.”

A.G. Howard
“Morpheus’s gaze flashes to mine, then back to the chess piece wrapped in his magic. “Stop crying,” his quirky voice scolds. “Queens don’t cry. I taught you better than that.”
I bite my quivering lip, and tiny Alice strokes the caterpillar’s face. “But you’re crying . . .”
Morpheus lowers a wing and shades his cheek along with the transparent glimmer of his jeweled markings. “Well”—his shrill voice cracks slightly—“contrary to my preferences for lace and velvet, I’m not the queen. So I can cry all I like.”

A.G. Howard
“Jeb is an anchor; he holds me grounded to my humanity and compassion. But Morpheus is the wind; he drags me kicking and screaming to the highest precipice, shoves me off, then watches me fly with netherling wings. When Jeb's at my side, the world is a canvas--unblemished and welcoming; when I'm with Morpheus, it's a wanton playground--wicked and addictive.”

A.G. Howard
“There is no reasoning when it comes to Morpheus. You just accept him as he is.”

A.G. Howard
“The master of word manipulation strikes again.”

A.G. Howard
“I wanted to lift you above me and swing you in circles until we were both dizzy and laughing. I wanted to kiss your lips and share your breath. And I wanted to dress you in threads befitting a queen.”

April 10, 2015 – Shelved
May 25, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "FINALLY, the time has come!"
Started Reading