Sam a.k.a Rory's Reviews > The Boys of Summer

The Boys of Summer by C.J. Duggan

Apr 10, 2015

bookshelves: e-books, read-in-english, romance, new-adult

Chronique en français ici : http://seekingvega.net/the-boys-of-summer-summer-1-c-j-duggan/.

I grabbed this novel after seeing Tracey’s recommendation on Instagram. It was free – it still is –, so I had nothing to lose. And as I enjoyed it, I’m quite glad I picked it up.
I enjoyed the characters even if I got mad at Tess some times around the end of the book. What I liked the most about her is that she evolves through the pages, and that she is not the kind of girl that succeeds in everything she does at the first try. Toby is very lovable but quite mysterious and I wish we could have learn more about him. I really liked some of the secondary characters, especially Adam (Tess’ best male friend) and Sean (one of the Onslow Boys).

The story in itself is not the most innovative but I was really hooked by it until about 70-80% of the book. At this point, there is a small plot twist which is quite often used in romance novels and that I disliked very much. I had to wait a few days before picking up the book again. The ending is quite satisfying though, and I almost cried a few times.

The atmosphere of the book is one of the best things about it. It’s all summer, sun, driving around and parties. It’s set in Australia, which is quite uncommon (or at least, I haven’t read a lot of books whose stories take place there) and I enjoyed it. I sometimes had trouble with understanding everything (English is not my native language) and I wonder if it is because some Australian language/slang was used. Another thing which is quite unusual, is that the story takes place in the 90’s, even though the book was written in 2012. You won’t find any smartphones or iPods here, but rather good old cell phones only used for texting, and cassette tapes!

It won’t end up on my favorites’ shelf, but I had a good time reading this book and I laughed a lot at the exchanges between the characters. The series has four books and three novellas, and book 2 is about Sean, which I liked very much, so I think I will be picking it up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boys of Summer.

April 10, 2015 – Shelved
21.18% "I'm so hooked!"
May 4, 2015 –
68.0% "I'm so hooked!"
May 5, 2015 –
81.0% "Mh, classic misunderstanding coming up... It's okay for now, I just hope it doesn't get too cliché."
May 8, 2015 – Shelved as: new-adult