Melanie Barrall's Reviews > Honey, Baby, Sweetheart

Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti

F 50x66

Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti- 308 pages
In the book Honey, Baby, Sweetheart, by Deb Caletti, Ruby Mc Queen, the protagonist, is 16 years old and lives in the small town of Nine Mile Falls, Texas with her mom, Ann and her brother, Chip Jr. Her dad, Chip had left her family a little after Chip Jr. was born hoping for luck in the music business. Ann still loved Chip and so whenever he came to visit, she would be in a great mood and buy expensive food for them, even though it was hard because she was only a librarian. After Chip left, Ann wouldn’t act normal for a week or two. Ruby and her mom learned to protect each other. Ruby falls in love with the rich, stunning, daredevil, Travis Becker. As soon as she meets him, Travis takes her on his motorcycle. Around him, she becomes the opposite of her normal self- the quiet one. She becomes more risky and does immoral things she would never dreamed of doing herself. Travis pulls her into situations that she hates. With him, she loses more than she gains. While she knows she shouldn’t stay with Travis, his love makes her keep coming back for more. But once he ends up taking away many important things, including her friends and her heart, Ruby decides she can’t see him anymore. Ruby’s mom tries to fix Ruby’s heartache by taking her to the elderly book club called the “Casserole Queens” to get her mind off Travis. At the club they find out that one of the members used to be dating the writer, Charles Whitney, and was part of this love story. They decided that they should bring her back to her long lost lover for the rest of her life. They go on a crazy road trip with a “stolen” nursing home woman to bring her to her long lost lover. Being involved in the Casserole Queens, Ruby and her mom are able to let go of their heartaches, and Ruby was able to let go of her former lover.
I think that one of the main morals of this book is that sometime you might love a person for what they look like or something they own or what they do. If you don’t love everything about the person, it can get in the way and tear people apart when they thought they were in love. Maybe you love something they do that changes you. In this book, Ruby thought she was in love with Travis, but she ended up not liking the things he made her do. Ruby found out that she didn’t really know Travis well enough when she started dating him, and was surprised by his wrong actions. She liked the person she became around him- confident, outgoing, and fearless, but once he made her do terrible things, she realized she couldn’t love him anymore. He tore her apart with his actions. She finds out that maybe, she was just in love with his motorcycle.
I rate this book 5 stars because I think the story is well told. I like how Ruby’s thoughts of Travis change when he’s unlawful. Ruby ends up following her conscious and does the right thing. The story has many lessons and I really love the way it teaches them. It teaches about love and also moral values. I like the way the story is told and the foreshadowing that builds suspense. It definitely made me want to keep reading! I think lots of girls will enjoy this book and some may be able to relate to the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honey, Baby, Sweetheart.

Started Reading