Rosie's Reviews > What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami

Oct 06, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2010

This memoir on running ridiculous distances is really sort of inspiring. I say sort of because it can be hard to get motivated and as a semi-successful novelist I think finding time to run can be a bit easier. If I didn't have to get up and work every morning it would be easier for me too. Overall it was interesting to see him draw parallels with his writing and running. i'll definitely be reading it again.
update: i recently reread this novel and LOVED it. i've been an on and off runner for years and years. nothing too far, five miles at the most. i've been running these past few months and felt i hit a wall trying to get the motivation to do it after a long day at work. so, i looked up tips online and dusted off my Murakami memoir to see if it inspired me.
I really think it speaks to anyone who runs and it's really relatable. It's great to get a little peek into the man behind some of my favorite novels and he writes about running so beautifully, it makes me want to lace up and run into the park after each chapter.
i liked this book the first time and now that i'm getting more serious about running (hopefully as a long term thing) it really spoke to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.