Jean Kenzie's Reviews > Recollections of My Life

Recollections of My Life by John  Findley

41320469
Apr 09, 2015

I very much commend John Findley’s book “Recollections of My Life” to you. When John asked me to review it I was confident in being able to handle this task. I had left school a few years ago and I have never a problem with putting my thoughts down. Where I work others rely on my reports before making their decisions. We had a copy of his book in the family and I had not yet got my hands on it. I travel by train to work and reading passes the time. So I put my foot down and announced my turn next.

But first I wish to point that John is fifty five years older than me. He and Heather are regular visitors to my dad’s home and I think they are a wonderful couple.

About the book, John tells about his life from before starting school to his retirement. He talked about his friends, school teachers along with his own grandparents. Few people upset John; most of his stories have a funny side as well along with a glimpse of his wisdom.

When speaking of close family deaths, I shared John’s pain. I reread the story of when his mother died over and over; I touched reading about a seven year old boy and shedding a tear for his mother. How this dying mother would have felt leaving a two young children and being separated from her husband.

But the stories move on, John worked hard and spending thirty years in the State Bank. He spends many hours a week doing part-time jobs. He explains this by saying he could not live within his means, but I believe he enjoyed living well. His family was fortunate, great holidays; nice new home first in the street with a colour television.

John’s first wife leaving him and their three children, she went to live with the new boyfriend of two months. She never returned and John and the children moved on finding Heather and her three children.
He talks about the business they ran, more holidays and more part-time work.
John enjoyed his life and is still enjoying it.
Now about me, I either find a young man like John or I will continue looking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Recollections of My Life.

Started Reading