Tobin Bromberg's Reviews > Spanking Shakespeare

Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner

Oct 06, 2010

liked it

This book is about Shakespeare Shapiro, a troubled high school senior who just cannot fit in with anyone else. All of his troubles stem from his name. His name is what makes him unpopular. His name is what stops people from coming up to him. Because of all of these troubles he cannot bring up the courage to do anything he wants to do such as ask a girl out. He talks about most of his problems in his writing which like his namesakes is excellent. Not only does he have social troubles but a home he has troubles too. His father is an alcoholic and his mother "gets loopy after one glass of wine." His brother, Gandhi, is two years younger than him but already has a girlfriend and is much more popular than him. However, unlike his namesake, Gandhi is an extremely violent person. I think Spanking Shakespeare was a fairly well written book but I also found that the plot was too predictable. All in all, I would give it a seven out of ten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spanking Shakespeare.