Vicky N.'s Reviews > The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Ben Jonson

Oct 06, 2010

bookshelves: school, fiction, classics
Read from October 06 to 23, 2010

Ben Jonson is a great writer who's only mistake must be to have been born at the same time as the great Shakespeare. Full of satire and sexual innuendos, The Alchemist narrates the tale of two rogues, one the alchemist who promises people to turn all their items to gold and the other his helper. Matched with a prostitute who fools around with them it makes a comic tale of lust and greed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemist.

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy wow. i lived in the "ben johnson" house at the barbican in london when i was 21. i never knew he wrote books like that. was it difficult to understand?

Vicky N. Cindy wrote: "wow. i lived in the "ben johnson" house at the barbican in london when i was 21. i never knew he wrote books like that. was it difficult to understand?"

Really? That must have been very cool. Regarding the difficulty, if you have no trouble with Shakespeare I don't see how it would be difficult.
He wrote many plays, but The Alchemist is one of his most known works. It's hilarious, you should definitely read it.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy yes, the barbican housed the shakespeare play troupe or some such. http://www.barbican.org.uk/

they have movies and films going on. and all the flats were named after playwrites, etc. that's why i was in the ben jonson house.

as for difficulty, shakespeare is difficult! haha! thanks for the rec, tho. good to know in case i'm ever in the mood!

Vicky wrote: "Cindy wrote: "wow. i lived in the "ben johnson" house at the barbican in london when i was 21. i never knew he wrote books like that. was it difficult to understand?"

Really? That must have been v..."

Vicky N. Cindy wrote: "yes, the barbican housed the shakespeare play troupe or some such. http://www.barbican.org.uk/

It must have been great living there. Haha, hope you like it if you ever venture into reading it!

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy it was *fantastic*. i went straight out of college.
you look young? maybe you can go study or work abroad? =DD

Vicky wrote: "Cindy wrote: "yes, the barbican housed the shakespeare play troupe or some such. http://www.barbican.org.uk/

Vicky N. Cindy wrote: "it was *fantastic*. i went straight out of college.
you look young? maybe you can go study or work abroad? =DD

I can't imagine, I still don't know what I'm doing after college.
Weird you mention that because I do plan to study abroad, I'm applying for a scholarship in London! And I'm 17, I guess that's young, right?

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy haha! i'm 37. =) so 17 is young to me.
i had friends who studied abroad in cambridge
and oxford. i missed out so i worked abroad. loved
it. loved london.

so impressed your reading ben jonson at 17. =)
good luck and have fun!!!!

Vicky wrote: "Cindy wrote: "it was *fantastic*. i went straight out of college.
you look young? maybe you can go study or work abroad? =DD

Vicky wrote: "Cindy wrote: "yes, the barbican housed the shakespeare pl..."

Vicky N. Cindy wrote: "haha! i'm 37. =) so 17 is young to me.
i had friends who studied abroad in cambridge
and oxford. i missed out so i worked abroad. loved
it. loved london.

so impressed your reading ben jonson at 17..."

Thanks! It must be great working abroad! Hopefully I'll make it there!