Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > The Fisherman's Lily

The Fisherman's Lily by Suzanne Spiegoski

Apr 08, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2015

Lily Dietz is a homicide detective in NYC. Together with her partner John Fremont is she investigating the brutal murder of an Asian-American girl. When another body turns up it starts to make clear to Lily that the murders somehow are connected to her and something that happened to her in the past. It doesn't make it easier that she is working closely together with her ex that is now married to her best friend Janelle.

This a debut novel and I think that Suzanne Spiegoski has done a really good job with the book. I had some problems getting into the story in the beginning, not that it was bad, just some words here and there felt a bit odd, but after a while, the story took off and the writing felt much more evenly.

For most of the book, the story was OK. I wanted to know what the connection was between the murderer and Lily. Why was he obsessed with her? But I had some problems with her partner and ex-boyfriend; John Fremont, he is a character that just is so unlikable that I can't understand why any women would want him, especially after I found out why he left Lily and then found out what was the reason for his married problems with Janelle, Lily's best friend whom he's been married for some years now. But I could live with that, Lily had her problems too. She's an alcoholic and has some mental problems not to mention family problems. She is a mess, and this serial killer problem isn't making her life any easier.

But even though the story was mostly good I had some real problem with the ending. Besides the fact that it was predictable did Lily make some quite illogical decisions that were just so frustrating that I couldn't believe that she; as a cop didn't think about calling in for backup before she rushed in to save the day. Even though I enjoyed reading the book, the ending knocks of a half star. It was tragic, yes, but I mostly felt that Lily should have handled everything a bit different. But that's just me, others may find the ending more to the likening than I did.

In the end, I want to say that Suzanne Spiegoski has done a good job, how I feel about the book is just my thoughts and even though I felt that there were things that just didn't work with me was it a well-written book and I would very much read more from her in the future.

I would like to thank the author for providing with a free copy of the book for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fisherman's Lily.

April 8, 2015 – Started Reading
April 8, 2015 – Shelved
April 11, 2015 –
April 11, 2015 –
52.0% "Not bad for a debut book. There are times when certain word choice's throw me off a bit. But the story in itself is good."
April 12, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015