Flora Smith's Reviews > Uglies

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Apr 08, 2015

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult

I stretched and gave this read 4 stars. I think its a series with a lot of promise, but looking ahead at reviews of the rest of the series I fear the promise is lacking.

Tally Youngblood is a young woman in a world that is centered on looks. Everyone in her society undergoes a transformation at 16 to change them into someone pretty. Her whole ambition in life is to be pretty and then she meets Shay. Shay tells her about a place where life isn't based on looks and you can be yourself and when Shay runs away Tally is forced into searching for her and when she finds her she learns the truth about her society.

The whole beauty centered world is an interesting concept. The founders of this society believed that if everyone were beautiful then no one would fight. There would be no wars or strife, but we all know that utopias are unattainable and ultimately its all about the control of the masses.

Overall, it was a fun read. I thought Tally started out a shallow character only believing the facts of life she was fed but she grew up a lot after her adventure. There is more to beauty besides what's on the outside after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uglies.

April 8, 2015 – Started Reading