Jen's Reviews > Just for Appearances

Just for Appearances by Jenna Rutland

Apr 08, 2015

Check out my full review on Bookaholics Not-So-Anonymous.

Note: This ARC was provided by Entangled Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Just for Appearances is the second book in the Lake Bliss series by Jenna Rutland but can be read as a standalone. This is a contemporary romance with a second chance love story as its theme, one that I've often enjoyed reading because there's history between the lead characters and they finally get their shot at having their happily ever after this time around. Both Rachel and John were great characters and even though they both met and married, and subsequently divorced, other people after their own romance ended, nothing quite came close to how they felt for one another during their first go-around. This story was sweet and left me very much satisfied by the end.

While this was an advanced reader's copy (ARC), I did want to note two things that caught my attention: 1. Matt's surname is spelled "Regan" instead of "Reagan" (a minor thing) and 2. I didn't get how John never met Matt when he and Rachel were first together, especially since Matt and Rachel have known each other since they were kids and they're very close friends plus both men belonged to the same small town during that time. Of course, it's possible that Matt may have been in a different college than Rachel, so she never got to introduce him while she was originally seeing John. These aren't really extremely bothersome things; I just happened to notice them while reading.

All in all, this was an enjoyable story and one that I was able to finish in one sitting. I consider an added bonus the appearance of Dani and Matt Reagan and being to read about what they've been up to after their own story was told in the first book, Just for the Summer. Unlike Matt's ex-wife, whose concern for Matt was at least something nice about her, there was absolutely nothing going for Rachel's ex. I do wonder if the next book in the series will be about Jack, Rachel's brother, because he seems like an interesting character who needs his story to be told. ^.^ While not necessary, I recommend you read book one before reading Just for Appearances. Four stars! ♥

Release Date: 14 April 2015
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just for Appearances.

Started Reading