Cindy's Reviews > No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II

No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin

1979132
Oct 05, 2010

Read in August, 2010

I loved this book. I purchased it after visiting the Roosevelt homes in Hyde Park, NY and had a really hard time putting it down. It's a LONG book so I read it for many weeks.

I thought I knew the history of the US pretty well but a lot of what I read startled me. I had no idea that racism was so pervasive in our culture then. I was struck by how the arguments that were used THEN to keep society segregated by race are so similar to the ones used today to discriminate against gays. Before the end of the war the military, at least, was integrated...

I have long admired Eleanor Roosevelt and after reading this book, I admire her even more. She fought long and hard for her values. If FDR had heeded more of her advice, I think our world would be a much better place today! He was more pragmatic and willing to sell out (that's my opinion) too often.

I thought this was a fascinating book. So much history I learned focused on the war with very little information on what was happening here at home. Now I know more about the life my parents and grandparents lived during those years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Ordinary Time.

08/18/2016 marked as: read