Tracy's Reviews > The Truth According to Us

The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows

207835

bookshelves: favorites

More than any other book I read last year, this one has stayed with me. About halfway through it, I started to realize that it was one of those rare books that I ration pages I read, so that I won't finish it too quickly. I only do this with something precious in the book world: a work that makes me feel more connected to life.

Annie Barrows' inhabitants of the fictitious West Virginia town of Macedonia are flawed, funny, and utterly believable. I have recommend this novel to a wide variety of friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth According to Us.

Quotes Tracy Liked

Annie Barrows
“I swung the door open and relaxed. She wasn't there. I stepped in and shut the door behind me. I had promised God I wouldn't touch anything. I'd just look at what was lying around. If Jane Eyre had only looked around a little, she might have saved herself a lot of heartache.”
Annie Barrows, The Truth According to Us

Annie Barrows
“He was lying; I could hear it the way you hear a tune and you know how it goes. I wondered how many times I'd heard him lie, to know so well what it sounded like.”
Annie Barrows, The Truth According to Us
tags: lying

April 7, 2015 – Started Reading
April 7, 2015 – Shelved
June 1, 2015 – Finished Reading
June 17, 2015 –
48.0% "The morning pall hung heavy on the kitchen..."Families in magazines are always laughing while they eat breakfast,” Bird observed. “Nobody around here laughs.” “Anybody laughs, I’ll shoot ’em,” muttered Mae."
June 17, 2015 –
49.0% "“Hi, Miss Beck!” I yelled, hoping she’d fall over and maybe break a tooth. She didn’t. She turned around and gave me a big smile. “Willa! How’re you?” She didn’t seem to realize that I didn’t like her. “Hot,” I said."
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites