Bradley's Reviews > Cloud and Ashes: Three Winter's Tales

Cloud and Ashes by Greer Gilman

Apr 07, 2015

bookshelves: fantasy, poetry, metaphysics

Crowd of Bone

Sparse and perfect prose as poetry. Old tales piled upon myth and returning back to tale. If your bones could tell the tale through the ashes, they would step through the seasons. You would run in the clouds.

This is poetry. There's no other description for it. If anyone had been able to report on the days of the old Celts and extrapolate a real and magical landscape of both thought and being, then Ms. Gilman is the transplant from time. Not only is the fantasy world deep and complex, but I could feel the love between Kit and Thea, the bittersweet and beautiful, the tragedy and the delight. It was short, but so jam packed with information and gorgeous phrases that I was forced to taste every word and slow down to a point that I wanted to tear my hair out.

Of course, that just meant that the text was worth it, and I was suddenly in a different depth, requiring me to swim to a far underground shore.

Sure, I could sum up the plot in a few easy sentences, but that would rob the richness of the magical world in these pages. And certainly, I could point to the recurring imagery drawn out of old civilizations and myth and cultures, but it was done in such a smart way that I could never unravel just what was cribbed or imagined.

If this weren't a modern work of fiction, I probably would have assumed it had come out of one of the past masters, like Spenser or Pope. It's certainly thick enough to be the punchlines in Shakespeare's plays or sonnets.

Do I think this work is amazing? Yes. Do I think that you, the reader, needs to be willing and able to fly slow through the clouds? Yes.

This is not an easy work, but it is fantastically delicious and subtle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud and Ashes.

April 7, 2015 – Started Reading