Marium's Reviews > Awoken

Awoken by Sarah Noffke

bookshelves: dystopian, fantasy, romance, ya-na-books, sci-fi

Received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

It was great story with a brilliant concept. Every detail, every setting, every scene was cleverly written and well constructed. Although I do feel like a lot of content was dedicated to Roya's love triangle and such like scenes which I just didn't like. I wish that we could have known more about the training and not drama that takes place in between. At times, she was just so slow at following things that were quite apparent that it was irksome. And, what bothered me the most was the fact that she wasted so much time in self pity while people died because of her. I'm not trying to be harsh but it felt that way a lot of times. Like, you could tell she was unprepared when she entered the duel and we get to witness so little of her training... I just wanted to know more about this captivating world and there were so many questions but it always felt like the first preferance was how she felt and I wouldn't have a problem with it if she just showed a little rebellion, a little fight during the duel. The only time she actually does something is run into Zhuang while her bracelet does the rest. With all that Kung Fu and her blocking blows in slow motion during training was awesome and I was obviously expecting that in the duel and... I found a lot of things disappointing and I want a lot of answers so I'm just going to be patient about the whole thing till I read the sequel. Enough negative stuff. I just want to state the fact that I loved Joseph and I almost hated the author for what appeared to be the ending but I'm glad it wasn't. The other characters were likeable too. The writing really brought the characters to life and that was truly admirable. I am really glad I read this book and it was definitely worth every moment I spent on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awoken.

April 7, 2015 – Started Reading
April 7, 2015 – Shelved
April 7, 2015 –
April 12, 2015 –
April 12, 2015 –
40.0% "Loving this just a little too much..."
April 14, 2015 – Shelved as: dystopian