Anita's Reviews > Sway

Sway by Amy Matayo

3202140
Apr 06, 2015

I have to admit, when I think of Christian Fiction books, my first thought is 'it's probably cheesy at best, preachy at worst.' There are some great, GREAT Christian books out there, there are great fiction books about stories of the bible not written specifically to be Christian out there as well, but even though that is true, the vast majority of Christians Fiction books are not very good, and are just not a story that you can relate to; and that is sad. I think there are a million and one historical Christian novels that are probably great, I've read one or two and have found them enjoyable, but they are just kind of bland, and I don't want to read a million and one renditions of the same story. I AM a Christian, and I AM a reader - I love to read books, but I do not seek out Christian Fiction. However, that may be changing, because in the last year I've found at least two authors who know how to write a faith-based novel that speaks to my heart, and whose characters are real and believable, and whose setting is...well, current both and timeline and in life in general.

I love Sway, that is the plain and simple truth. I'm not sure if this was her heart, but Amy Matayo has written a book that is not necessairly meant to entice you to Christ (though, it might happen) but a book that was written for a Christian to speak to a Christ-like heart. I found myself reflected both in Kate and Caleb at different times; their struggles were real, the passion was real, and the romance (YES, we Christians like the heat too) was so real. Throw in some great supporting characters, one secretary stands out specifically, and you've got this awesome heart-filled and compelling novel. My own faith and attitude towards some of the people in my life was challenged while reading this book. So, thank you Amy, for taking my pre-concieved notions of what a Christian Romance probably looks like and throwing it out the door. Thank you for writing a novel that entertained me, and also challenged me. Please, keep it up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sway.

April 3, 2015 – Started Reading