Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing)'s Reviews > The Lonely Hearts Club

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Oct 04, 2010

bookshelves: favorite-books

Lately most of the really great books I've been reading came from my TBR pile that's been sitting there for a couple of months. I had The Lonely Hearts Club since spring and have been meaning to read it but kept putting it off, until this weekend when I was feeling down in the dumps and wanted to read something but didn't want anything too intense or sad, I wanted something to cheer me up. Well I remembered I had this one and I've heard that it was pretty great so I asked on twitter(twitter knows everything!) and was told that it was a happy book which is exactly what I was looking for.

The Lonely Hearts Club was a wonderful read for me that succeeded in cheering me up from the start. What I enjoyed the most was seeing the characters develop and change throughout the book. Penny Lane's parents added a lot of hilarious humor to the story and I loved their geekiness over the Beatles and their strong support for their daughter, it was definitely a nice change to see likable parents in this book. Most of all I really enjoyed how Penny Lane and her friends started supporting one another and realized towards the end what the club had become and what it had done for them.

The only little problem I had was that I wish there would've been more physical descriptions about the characters, I like to picture them while I'm reading, but there wasn't much in this book except for the clothes they wore. I still loved it and I still had no problem connecting with Penny at all. I think The Lonely Hearts Club will brighten anyone's day, is a fun story full of girl power and a great message to love yourself and to not change the way you are for anyone else.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lonely Hearts Club.

Sophie same! i always like to keep a memory of what i think the character would look like, but we didn't even get a physical description of penny herself.