Sherry Torgent's Reviews > Axel Theo: My Dog is the Emperor of a Faraway Galaxy

Axel Theo by Amberly Kristen Clowe

Apr 06, 2015

bookshelves: kids

When I saw the subheading of this book — My dog is the Emperor of a faraway galaxy, I knew I had to read it. After all, how often do you see a sci-fi kid’s book? Being the sci-fi nut that I am, I couldn't pass this one up. I was not disappointed.

First of all, I love that Axel is a "weenie dog" and an alien. Awesome. Theo is this insecure, fourth-grade boy who wants to be an astronaut. Theo thought his dog was just a normal, everyday dog until the dog saved him from being beat up by a school bully. Theo is thrilled to learn that his dog, "Axelo Lackfer Tharsdon III” is from another galaxy, another planet — Doglin. This is where the story takes off and becomes a space adventure. Axel and Theo get a big surprise when two alien cats show up unexpectedly in a rainbow flash of color right out of Theo’s closet. Theo's reaction is great - "Usually, I'm all about petting black and white fur that fluffy, but not on a ninja-like beast with a shiny bodysuit. And definitely not with a giant bazooka strapped to his back."

Adorable. Right?

Needless to say, Axel and Theo are whisked away to the “Tharsdon” galaxy and have to face a stadium of angry cats. How great is that? The classic cats hate dogs turned into a sci-fi adventure. I love it. There are some cool monster-like creatures, holograms that smell like ribeye steaks, an ocean of strawberry soda, and lots of other cool stuff that any fourth-grade boy is going to love.

Great start to a new series for kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Axel Theo.

Started Reading