Charles's Reviews > Mameshiba: On the Loose!

Mameshiba by James Turner

Apr 06, 2015

bookshelves: 2015-challenge, manga-graphic-novels, children-s, stat_3, reviewed

Stuff I Read - Mameshiba: On the Loose! Review

This is incredibly cute. I just have to say that. I think I was shown Mameshiba first via the ads on YouTube, and from then on I was rather hooked. That they made the jump to the US is something for a shock to me, but I guess they are crazy and dog-beans, so there is that. Demand can sometimes be a strange thing. But here is the first story collection featuring those hilarious beans. There is another thing that I have called Meet Mameshiba, but it's not really a story. This one features two different plots.

The first story is the more complex. While playing around a giant sink, the peas suffer an accident and one of them is lost down the drain. This shakes up the other two, who have never been less than three peas, and so some of the other peas decide to help retrieve the missing pea. Chickpea, a glory-hound, plays the annoying one who basically gets everyone into trouble. Still, the landscape of the kitchen and sink are rather crazy and interesting. Most of the beans get a chance to really shine, and there are a variety on display. It's light and cute and fun and has a rather happy ending and some good action.

The second plot is a bit less straightforward. Three beans are playing make-believe that they are in space and Lentil, the brainy bean, comes over to tell them about real space and provide some inane facts, which is great for how the beans work and all. This leads to them actually going into space. Which leads to further crazy adventures as this comic skates the line between "reality" and "fantasy." I know, I say this for something that has talking dog-beans. But with some of the gags it's difficult to tell if they really are in space or if they're still pretending. Either way it's a fun story and a nice balance to the other half of the book.

People looking for something with some weight and message should probably look elsewhere, though. This short graphic novel is really just cute fun. The humor is well done and should appeal to both children and adults, and there really are some crazy little facts snuck into the stories. All the beans are well rendered and feel like they have distinct personalities. It's really fun to see all of the beans. My only issue is that the beans tend to be depicted a bit more masculinely and there is a lack of female beans. I mean, again, they're beans, but if they were going to go genderless I would have preferred that a bit more. Still, it's not really distracting.

In the end, it's a fun collection that delivers on giving an actual plot to characters that were created to be part of a viral advertising campaign. Truly we live in strange times. But times that produce things like this book can't be all bad. It's fun and cute and a lot of fun, and is super fast to read. For fans of the commercials, it's a must, and for me it's an 8/10.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mameshiba.

April 6, 2015 – Started Reading
April 6, 2015 – Shelved
April 6, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-challenge
April 6, 2015 – Shelved as: manga-graphic-novels
April 6, 2015 – Shelved as: children-s
April 6, 2015 –
page 80
100.0% "Cute. So. Effing. CUTE!"
April 6, 2015 – Finished Reading