Kate's Reviews > Love Medicine

Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich

F 50x66

I read "Love Medicine" as an anthologized short story twice before I finally picked up the entire book. "Love Medicine" is one of the three most moving short stories I've ever read. Lipsha Morrissey's voice, his eye on the world, his confidence in his gift to heal, and . . . well, this implies the wrong metaphor, but his faith in the midst of suffering, his longing to connect to his own history despite its knotted-ness makes him a vivid and resonant character. Don't we all have screwed up families? A history of crazy parents and bitter betrayals and small disappointments? But Lipsha Morrissey is whole in spite of it and his ability to seek meaning from chaos redeems all the madness that preceeds and surrounds him. So, that's Lipsha. But really, he's only a small part of the whole when it comes to Love Medicine. I recommend reading it to find out the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Medicine.

Started Reading
November 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
January 14, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Five stars - I don't think you hand those down lightly. I will have to read this one. Screwed up families and a series of disappointments that still come up positive in the end sounds like a good story to soothe the soul.

Andy Miller good review, I especially liked your comment about Lipsha Morrissey, I was thinking the same thing and there is the one comment by Marie Kapshaw in Turkey Hearts to Lipshaw that "you are my favorite"

Brenda its a good review but for me it was more of a three star because the book confused me a lot with all the characters and who the were married to and all of that which is in the family tree at the beginning before the book started but good review tho.