Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)'s Reviews > Between the Notes

Between the Notes by Sharon Huss Roat

bookshelves: arc, young-adult, 2015-releases

Between the Notes is a beautiful contemporary novel that will leave readers with a greater understanding about the world in which we live. It contains a phenomenal message and centres around family. Throw in its musical element and you have the ingredients for a whirlwind of emotions!

Between the Notes is the kind of book that makes you grateful for what you have. Ivy, the main character, has to move from her fancy house in an affluent neighbourhood to what is considered “the slums”. Her family learns to live more simply and be thankful for what they have. I think that this message is so important, because there is so much greed in the world.

I really enjoyed the main theme of Between the Notes. The importance of family resonates throughout Sharon Huss Roat’s beautiful writing. Ivy’s brother has special needs and requires certain care. Part of the reason why the family lost their house was because they recognize that the importance of paying for this boy’s therapy is a priority. It is so sweet how the whole family tries their best to make sure that he receives the best care.

In Between the Notes, Ivy uses music as a coping method for her sadness. When she loses her piano room after the move, she is forced to practise at school. The way her piano playing is described is so extraordinary. Ivy really plays her feelings out. As a pianist myself, I really related to this use of music as a form of therapy and love the way it is depicted in the novel.

Between the Notes is a quick contemporary, so I would recommend it to fans of the genre. It is very well-written and truly unforgettable. Be prepared for all sorts of feels with this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Notes.

April 6, 2015 – Shelved
April 6, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 6, 2015 – Started Reading
June 6, 2015 – Shelved as: arc
June 6, 2015 –
page 114
29.84% "I wish that all stores had discounts like this!"
June 7, 2015 –