Melanie Surani's Reviews > No Rest for the Wicked

No Rest for the Wicked by Dane Cobain

No Rest for the Wicked is a small book. If you're not familiar with novellas, you might be tempted to believe nothing much can happen in that short a space, but you would be wrong. Unlike so many novels that sprawl on and on just to reach their 80-100 thousand word quotas, this book goes in, tells the story, and gets out. There were never any times where I felt like I needed something explained more (and part of the book deals with the Large Hadron Collider, which is damn confusing as a subject).

The plot jumps around in time a little, but after orienting myself after the first few (brief) chapters, it was super easy to follow. Cobain has a wonderful, fluid writing style that becomes invisible as you read (which is exactly what every writer wants). This is marketed as a horror book, but (at least for me), I didn't find it "scary", although I did enjoy the suspense. Then again, I've read many a Stephen King novel and thought, "oh wow! What a bad situation," when something awful is going down. Others... (like when Joey Tribbiani had to keep putting The Shining in the freezer to "stay safe")

Read No Rest for the Wicked. Request it from your local library or pick up your own copy from Amazon. It's big on story, but respects your time as a busy person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Rest for the Wicked.