Mark Tilbury's Reviews > His Kidnapper's Shoes

His Kidnapper's Shoes by Maggie James

Apr 05, 2015

bookshelves: favorites

This story is about Laura and Daniel’s relationship. Laura raised Daniel, and the book alternates between Laura’s thoughts about the past and Daniel’s reactions in the present. Laura refuses to speak throughout the book, and the reasons are explored throughout.

There were early parts of the book where I wondered whether I liked Laura or Daniel. They both seemed to use people to please themselves, with no consideration of how their actions would affect those around them. As the story developed, and the histories of both characters emerged, I could understand why they were both acting the way they were.

Laura and Daniel have to understand different things. Laura has to understand why Daniel reacts the way he does to the situation. Daniel has to understand why Laura did what she did and the reasons behind her actions. Putting yourself in someone else’s shoes, empathy and forgiveness all play major parts in this book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this excellent book and particularly liked how the chapters moved back and forth from Laura to Daniel. There is some strong language and several sex scenes throughout, but considering the events that unfold I didn’t find it over the top. A thought provoking story that is extremely well written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Kidnapper's Shoes.

April 5, 2015 – Started Reading