Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~'s Reviews > Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

did not like it
bookshelves: owned, year-2017, 1-star

This book is being hailed as "A Game of Thrones for young adults." I have only read the first twenty pages of A Game of Thrones & I can already tell you that is like comparing a stick figure drawing to a professional painting.

Perhaps the barest framework of the two series can be compared, but anything more than that is a stretch.

Falling Kingdoms follows a handful of young main characters spread out across three neighboring territories. Nearly all of them are prominent political figures: princes, princesses, etc. When an act of violence is committed on foreign soil, all three kingdoms become embroiled in a bloody war.

Now, I feel obligated to mention that this 'bloody war' doesn't actually become relevant until around the 80% mark. The pace up to that point is dreadfully slow.

No, not just slow. Needlessly slow.

A couple small things happen here & there along the way, but it mostly consists of each character whining about their individual circumstances.

The world building is severely lacking, as we only see wisps of the mythology & magic of Mytica.

This series contains six books, so I realize there are likely more explanations to come, but if the first book doesn't provide enough information to hook the reader then I typically won't stick around to find out more.

The characterization was shoddy at best & laughable at worst.

There is hardly any difference between how each character speaks. All the dialogue reads like it's the same voice. The same extremely corny voice.

I felt like I was reading a bad high school play with a medieval theme.

Also, I don't know if I have ever experienced such an intense dislike for almost every main character the way I did with this book.

I can only think of two characters I would happily hold a door open for, and one of them barely got any screen time so really I have no idea if I truly like him or not.

I like flaws. I like villains. I like moral ambiguity.

The problem I have with this set of characters is that I can tell I am supposed to sympathize with them.

Spoiler alert: I DIDN'T.

Everyone is a brat.

Impulsive. Selfish. Rage-inducing.

It made it difficult to root for them or hope for their future growth.

I can't find anything positive to say about Rhodes' writing style either. Her word choices were odd & the tone of narration conflicted with the mental image I was getting.

Example: "Concern coated her words."

The word "coated" in this sentence creates one of three potential visual experiences for me:

1. Words coated in snow.
2. Words coated in rust, lichen, etc.
3. Words coated in chocolate/sprinkles/candy of some kind.

The tone of these visual experiences didn't line up with the tone that was established in sentences directly before this one.

Saying, "Her words echoed with concern," or something similar would have matched the serious nature of the situation much better.

Is this nitpicking? Maybe. But these patches of choppy writing popped up so many times that I felt jolted while reading.

After the 80% mark when the ball finally starts moving, I had already thrown myself off the wagon in a full on tuck-and-roll.

The action was predictable. The climax was underwhelming. The political leaders had the intuition of toddlers.

Despite disliking the book itself, I had an absolute blast participating in a fantasy league game with these awesome people:

Frankie
Kaylin
Rachelle
Jeremy
Bentley

I've heard this series gets better as it goes along. I will be continuing on this journey with them unless it becomes unbearable, and so I suppose I will see for myself if that is true!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Kingdoms.

April 4, 2015 – Shelved
April 4, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 13, 2016 – Shelved as: owned
March 18, 2017 – Started Reading
March 18, 2017 –
page 63
15.29% "Oh no I hate everyone so far wtf???"
April 2, 2017 –
page 187
45.39% "Magnus... *grimaces*"
April 15, 2017 –
page 300
72.82% "Oh jeez can this dialogue get any worse..."
April 24, 2017 – Shelved as: year-2017
April 24, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-star
April 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)

message 1: by emma (new)

emma this might be my next read! have fun

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Why thank ya girly! Good luck if you pick it up!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

description

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ SOLOMON OH MY GOD I AM CHOKING LOLOLOL

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

SORRYNOTSORRY

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Ahahaha I can't unsee this now *dunks brain in bleach*

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

NO DONT HURT YOURSELF LIKE THAT.

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) Mary Moo, you better not hate this BECAUSE I WILL COME AFTER YOU! Your black heart is NOT welcomed so love this ok??

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Hahaha Tweebie I will do my very best to not hate it but you know how I am *cackles*

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) That's why I'm dropping a warning because your hatred is unacceptable LOL ;p but seriously happy reading <3

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Hahaha thank you bby I'll pray for patience with this one just for you <3

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) Yayyyyyy :) now go away and read this lovely book ;p

Jiana I hope you enjoy this, Mary!! It's a great series :D

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh thank you Jiana! I hope so as well!! :')

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 If i ever start character claiming, Magnus would be on top of my list. LEAVE HIM ALONE! Hahaha okay okay, i see what you mean.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Kainat Ijaz wrote: "If i ever start character claiming, Magnus would be on top of my list. LEAVE HIM ALONE! Hahaha okay okay, i see what you mean."

Hahahah Kainattttt girl you gonna have to protect Magnus & Kell both from me if he keeps doin' all this ignorance hahaha <3

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 Feel free to trash Kell as much as you like, Magnus is my precious. I remember how stopped reading this book & hated it with a passion, right after reading his first chapter. I'm not saying he gets any better. I guess, i just got used to him?

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Kainat Ijaz wrote: "Feel free to trash Kell as much as you like, Magnus is my precious. I remember how stopped reading this book & hated it with a passion, right after reading his first chapter. I'm not saying he gets..."

Ahahahaha oh boy! Unfortunately I'm not really liking anyone and I'm already almost 50% through so we'll just have to wait and see where it goes haha

Elise (TheBookishActress) Sorry I dropped this one, Mary! Hope you enjoy it more

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ That's ok my dear!! I am just sorry it wasn't holding you interest! But we shouldn't waste our time reading books that we aren't loving <333

Angela Auten I fell head over heels in love with this book!!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh I'm glad to hear that Angela! :)

Angela Auten Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Awh I'm glad to hear that Angela! :)"

Thank you!! I hope you are liking it. There are a few choice words about certain characters. *coughs* Aron...Gaius...Basilius xD

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ lol thank you dear! So far I'm... well. I'm enjoying the fact that I'm BR'ing it more than the book itself haha but we'll wait until the end to pass judgment! :')

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ I got vibes telling me to hop on this. I don't know....

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Hmmmmmm I am around 60% done with it & I am not impressed but I'm also not hating it so I'm hoping it'll get better soon... I hope that helps hahah <3

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Oh lordy. Haha. I bet I'll like it!

Angela Auten Jenn *The Crimson Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "Oh lordy. Haha. I bet I'll like it!"

Lol I finished it yesterday! I'm on chapter 6/34 of the second book! I'm still in love!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Hahahah I bet you will Jenn you know me. Bitter. Angry. Judgy hahaha!

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 We all know you, Mary. Hating on my pooor child, Magnus! (view spoiler) just let him live his life! You are cold hearted.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Hahaha poor child!! I'm the poor child here. Magnus & Cleo are ruining my life!! (view spoiler)

Angela Auten Magnus isn't really all that bad of a character. He has his moments when he needs to get kneed in the balls...but I felt horrible for him.

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Haha. Old lady soul over here.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ I'll punch Magnus if he gets near me lololol :')

Nafeeza How are you fairing with this one my Mary?

Angela Auten Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "I'll punch Magnus if he gets near me lololol :')"

Hehe so silly!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Nafeeza so far it's so so! My main issue is that I don't like anyone at all, & I think some of the MC's are ridiculous, and I'm 60% through with almost no plot progression, but I'm gonna wait until I finish to lay down official judgement hahaha

Nafeeza Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Nafeeza so far it's so so! My main issue is that I don't like anyone at all, & I think some of the MC's are ridiculous, and I'm 60% through with almost no plot progression, but I'm gonna wait until..."

I know exactly how you feel. I can't wait for your review! I won't say anything to sway you in the meantime.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Haha you know I won't hold back ;) <3

Nafeeza *grabs the popcorn*

message 43: by Berta (new) - added it

Berta This book has been on my currently reading shelf for so looong now... maybe your updates will make me get back into it! :D have fun!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Ahaha thank you Berta! I hope you love it when you pick it up!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) *nodding aggressively* YES. YES TO ALL. I don't think I disliked it as much as you, but I can't disagree with a thing you've said here.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

LOLOL THE DABBING COVER WASN'T ENOUGH TO SAVE IT?!

message 47: by alyssa (new) - added it

alyssa awesome review, mary! i started this one almost a two months ago and haven't got past page 30 lol 😂

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 LMAO! I don't know who told you it gets better because it doesn't (this is coming from someone who doesn't hate the series). I LOVE THIS REVIEW, BOOBOO!! I am very curious to see what you think about Magnus in the second book though.

Elise (TheBookishActress) oh god, I totally agree. I'm sorry I dropped out of the fantasy squad but I couldn't agree more

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Kaylin wrote: "*nodding aggressively* YES. YES TO ALL. I don't think I disliked it as much as you, but I can't disagree with a thing you've said here."

Hahaha Kaylin! Thank you dear I TOTALLY see why you guys liked it a little more than me I just couldn't get over my issues *sobs* haha

« previous 1 3