Michael's Reviews > Finding Jake

Finding Jake by Bryan Reardon

bookshelves: favorite-books

Simon Connely has a supporting wife and two loving children. Jake his son is a introverted child who always took care of the ones around him, caring and sensitive are one of his many unique traits. When Simon agreed to become a stay at home Father, He did not know how much he would enjoy it. Laney his daughter is a bright girl who has grown accustomed to her brother playful teasing, together as siblings they are inseparable. Simon's relationship with his wife is suffering due to the lack of affection and attention. Jake as a child often came between them as a couple, but all for the "right reasons." Jake was simply a young kid that wanted to please his parents in every area, thus making it extremely hard for him to ever be disciplined. Yet when he befriends a boy name Doug, his life is put at risk when a shooting at a school leaves many missing or dead. Now Simon must question his loyalty to his wife and most importantly to his child, Jake.

The story shifts from Past to Present, all leading up to Jake disappearance. Simon blames himself for not taking care of Jake when he was little. Startling questions start to whirl around in his head such as: Was Jake too quiet growing up? Why did he always want to hang out with Doug? Was he a good sibling to his sister? Did he overlook some things about his erratic behavior for the sake of pleasing his son? Is his son a murderer as some starts to believe? These and many other questions consumes his thoughts and mind. Simon's marriage is put in jeopardy when the two share different perspective about what really happened on the day Jake disappeared.

Taking from his own personal diary, notes from friends, and the advice of strangers:Simon's life is not worth living, not for his attached daughter Laney or his distant wife. The only person he wants to find alive and well is Jake, the child that has put a wedge between his marriage but also the same child that is the glue that holds his life together.

This is by far the best book I ever read this year! The characters was so emotionally charged that I deeply sympathized with all of them: I share similarities to Jake shyness, Laney attachment and Simon doubts of fear and anxiety.

Perfect characterization, splendid consistency and an unforgettable novel that exceeded my expectations.

It has now become one of my favorite books,kudos to Bryan Reardon, I will look forward to reading more of your work!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Jake.

April 4, 2015 – Shelved
April 4, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 13, 2015 – Started Reading
April 14, 2015 –
0.0% "I will start this later on this evening or early tomorrow."
April 14, 2015 –
page 10
3.68% "Soaked right in the story! Hopefully my expectations aren't let down."
April 15, 2015 –
page 25
9.19% "Heartbreaking! I can relate to these characters so much!!"
April 15, 2015 –
page 50
18.38% "It's so hard to pull away from reading this!"
April 15, 2015 – Shelved as: favorite-books
April 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Licha Excellent review. I just ordered it from the library. I'm excited to read it.

message 2: by Jaidee (new)

Jaidee I thought I would never see a five star rating from you...glad you loved it.

message 3: by Michael (last edited Apr 15, 2015 06:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Licha,it is astounding,so heartbreaking,relatable and touching at the same time!

Michael Jaidee,I am EXTREMELY picky,cause I read sooo much. However if you impress me,then I will definitely sing your praises!

Licha Good catch, Jaidee. I was so excited by his review, I failed to notice he'd given this 5 stars.

Michael Five stars AND favorite, very rare indeed LOL.

Licha Already have this on order so I'll probably start this very soon. I'm impressed, Michael. Five and favorite. Indeed that is a rarity for you.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Miracle miracle! I'll be reading this!