Liz's Reviews > Soulmates

Soulmates by Nicole Dykes

liked it
bookshelves: high-steam-alert, high-angst-alert

It's always a delight to read a book by someone I have met on GR! It makes me feel honored that they would trust me to read and review their work. As I have been graciously offered an arc for Fate the second of the Soulmates series, I felt it was imperative to read the first book in the series. I am truly glad that I did!

Soulmates is definitely a "coming of age" story. Although the majority of the story takes place while the characters are in high school, this is NOT a YA book. I would definitely categorize it as a NA book.

description

Madison is just a young girl when she meets Jake. The two become fast friends and of course share their first kiss.

description

Madison and Jake have a close group of friends and they go through first kisses, first dates, drunken parties, and all of the firsts that kids experience.

While Madison and Jake remain close, it is only friendship between them. When the "brat pack" begin to sleep around, Maddy remains a virgin in order to save herself for when the time is right.

When Jake makes a stupid mistake, Maddy confronts him and they get in a huge fight. What should have blown over in a few days turns into years of battling. Jake was so cruel to Maddy. Maddy copes with the bullying the best she can. She even dates another friend from the pack which causes Jake to ridicule her even more. Of course Maddy is unwilling to give up her virginity and eventually the relationship fizzles out.

When trauma hits Jake hard, Maddy is there to comfort him. They are instantly brought together. Maddy has no trouble giving herself to Jake.

description

There is quite a few back and forth between the two. It takes a while for the two to final come to terms with what it takes for them to be together.

Overall, I enjoyed this read. I felt like the time shift was rather abrupt because there were several years covered in just a few chapters. I would have loved to have more character development for the main characters. Although I connected with them individually, I didn't quite understand the way they came back together so quickly. Also, I struggled when they got back together but then it took more time for them to work things out. Although I found it very believable for high schoolers to be so sexually active (I work everyday with teenagers), I did wonder where were the parents? I also am dying to understand more about Jake's past with his parents divorce and (view spoiler). Perhaps the next book will answer more. Finally, after everything these two have been through I would have loved a longer HEA!

I normally don't read books where the main plot line is based on just love, sex, and friends. There was an awful lot of drama jam packed into such short read. However, I am very glad that I read this book and I look forward to reading the next in the series. Thank you Nicole for sharing your work with me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulmates.

April 4, 2015 – Shelved
April 4, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 11, 2015 – Started Reading
April 11, 2015 –
35.0% "Jake you are a big\n description"
April 12, 2015 – Shelved as: high-steam-alert
April 12, 2015 – Shelved as: high-angst-alert
April 12, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kyle Great review, Elizabeth xo

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Jennifer wrote: "Great review, Elizabeth xo"

Thanks Jennifer! :D

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog TERRIFIC review, Hun!! :-)
xoxoxo

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️ Miller❤️Garrett and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "TERRIFIC review, Hun!! :-)
xoxoxo"

Thanks so much Patty! :D

message 5: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Wonderful review!:D

message 6: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Cindy wrote: "Wonderful review!:D"

Thanks so much Cindy! I am reading the second book of this series hopefully this week! xxoo

message 7: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie One of my favorite types of reads! Friends to lovers!! Wonderful review girl! xo

message 8: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Julie wrote: "One of my favorite types of reads! Friends to lovers!! Wonderful review girl! xo"

Thank you, Julie! xxoo