Julie's Reviews > Veronika Decides to Die

Oct 02, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 1001-books-to-read-before-you-die, fiction
Read in October, 2010

The title character of this book, Veronika, tries to commit suicide through an overdose of pills. The suicide attempt fails, but the pills have caused irreparable damage to her heart and she only has 1 week to live. This knowledge of her imminent death gives Veronika new insight and a different perspective on life. My copy of the book included some interesting information on Paulo Coelho's life. As a young man, he spent several weeks in a mental hospital. He uses this information to frame many of the events of the book and provide a very different viewpoint of how we view and treat the 'insane'. Although the premise of this book was interesting, I am not a huge fan of Coelho. Rather than subtly stating a theme in his books, he tends to shout it out repeatedly. For this novel, the central theme seemed to revolve around how strict rules in our society force people to behave abnormally, but once a person is labeled 'insane', they have the freedom to behave and live as they want.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veronika Decides to Die.

message 1: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Micsa Hi Julie,

When this comes in audio, please add it to my list, as I love Coelho. And, yes I totally agree wtih you that he's obvious and that his themes repeat themselves, but I like his depth of perception and his ideas about love, life and death, and so on.

I hope you had a good weekend. My hubby and I went on a date on Saturday and saw a beautiful performance of Burn the Floor with dancers from all over the world that came at the Community Theatre. We also had a great dinner at McCormick downtown, fantastic seafood.

Take care and have a great week,
Carmen

Julie Hi Carmen,

Sounds like a great weekend! This is a title we don't have in audio - sorry, you'll have to read it in print! It's pretty short though and can be finished in a few hours.

Hope school is going well for you!

Julie