Kai's Reviews > The Shining

The Shining by Stephen King

bookshelves: 2016, classics

"The world's a hard place. It don't care. It don't hate you and me but it don't love us, either."

My relationship with horror stories is a weird one. I hate them, but my fascination for them always overpowers that feeling. It may take me ages to pick up a certain book or watch a certain movie but at some point curiosity always kills the cat (and satisfaction brings it back.)

The only Stephen King I've read before is Carrie. I didn't find it either really frightening or exciting, but it was good. And I just knew that The Shining would be on a whole new level. So it was.

The foreshadowing was the worst. It held me tight in its grip and nearly crushed me. On the other hand, it made the story predictable.
Apart from that, I'm fascinated by how amazingly well constructed the characters are. Same thing applies to background details like the hotel's history, its former owners and guests.
King also leaves many questions about the hotel unanswered, which is equal parts torture and genius. That's something I really love about authors: when they don't spill all the secrets, so you'll never totally let go of the book.

Find more of my books on Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shining.

April 3, 2015 – Shelved
April 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 31, 2016 – Started Reading
April 1, 2016 –
page 113
25.28% "I have this really really bad gut feeling. Why don't I just stay away from everything horror?"
April 3, 2016 –
page 243
54.36% "And he was just beginning to relax, just beginning to realise that the door must be unlocked and he could go, when the years-damp, bloat, fish-smelling hands closed softly around his throat and he was turned implacably around to stare into that dead and purple face."
April 4, 2016 –
page 311
69.57% "You're so full of shit, Jack."
April 5, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
April 6, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 3, 2016 – Shelved as: classics

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Debbie Cordes You should read the next book, Doctor Sleep! So good

message 2: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Not sure if I want to read it...I don't want to read about Dan's struggle to step out of his father's shadow being an alcoholic and whatsoever

Bill Khaemba Nice take on the book :)

message 4: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Like you, I'm not very fond of horror books or else but there're stuff like The Shining or The Sixth Sense that I find compelling. I'm earger to read this beast :p

message 5: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Bill wrote: "Nice take on the book :)"

Thanks :)

message 6: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Jennifer wrote: "Like you, I'm not very fond of horror books or else but there're stuff like The Shining or The Sixth Sense that I find compelling. I'm earger to read this beast :p"

Compelling is the right word for it!

message 7: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Victoria (Overdue_Fines) wrote: "I Love The Shining and Doctor Sleep (the sequel) is just as amazing ;)"

I'll have to check it at some point

Naddy Lovely review :)

message 9: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Thank you :)

megs_bookrack ...you should pick up Doctor Sleep now...they're great read back-to-back 🖤

message 11: by Kai (last edited May 27, 2019 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai megs_bookrack wrote: "...you should pick up Doctor Sleep now...they're great read back-to-back 🖤"

it's a tad too late for that, I have read the Shining a couple of years ago and just updated my review today. But I definitely plan to pick it up.

megs_bookrack Kai wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "...you should pick up Doctor Sleep now...they're great read back-to-back 🖤"

Ohhhhh, hahaha. Got it!