Kai's Reviews > Stardust

Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
41788524
's review

it was ok
bookshelves: owned, overrated

“You have to believe. Otherwise, it will never happen.”

My first Neil Gaiman book was a disappointment. I didn't like this very much. It wasn't a bad book exactly, but it was also far from being a good one. The characters didn't have much depth, the plot was unrealistic and completely predictable. For me, this is one highly overrated novel and I don't get what the fuss is all about. I still haven't watched the movie but I feel like this could be one of those rare cases when the screen adaption is better than the original.
The only other Gaiman book that I've read until today was Coraline, the graphic novel. I loved the haunting and dark atmosphere of it all. But apart from that, I'm not motivated to pick up another one of his books anytime soon.

Find more of my books on Instagram
152 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardust.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

Finished Reading
April 2, 2015 – Shelved
August 18, 2015 – Shelved as: owned
December 22, 2015 – Shelved as: overrated

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvi (new) - added it

Silvi Griffin I'm also a bit unsure what to make of Gaiman's books but I've recently read "The Ocean at the end of the lane" and absolutely loved it. If you ever feel like giving him another chance you might want to check that one out :)


message 2: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Silvi wrote: "I'm also a bit unsure what to make of Gaiman's books but I've recently read "The Ocean at the end of the lane" and absolutely loved it. If you ever feel like giving him another chance you might wan..."

That's actually the Gaiman book I'm most curious about!


Helena Summers Even though I did like the novel, I like the movie better because I think the characters are more relatable and the story is more enchanting. You should definitely watch it!


message 4: by Keerthana (new) - added it

Keerthana My friend felt the same. She said the movie was much better and made more sense than the book. I also watched movie, it was really good


Iryna *Book and Sword* I recommend Neverwhere too


message 6: by A (new)

A Albeirakdar The movie of this is amazing!


message 7: by Ezgi (new)

Ezgi Tülü You should really read the Ocean at the End of the Lane !! I haven't read Stardust, so I can't say much about it, but the Ocean is my favourite Neil Gaiman book :)


message 8: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Patrick wrote: "The movie of this is amazing!"

Keerthana wrote: "My friend felt the same. She said the movie was much better and made more sense than the book. I also watched movie, it was really good"

Helena wrote: "Even though I did like the novel, I like the movie better because I think the characters are more relatable and the story is more enchanting. You should definitely watch it!"

I'm looking forward to watching it :)


message 9: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Chloe wrote: "I highly recommend Neverwhere! Stardust is one rare case where I do prefer the movie."

Iryna (Book and Sword) wrote: "I recommend Neverwhere too"


It's on my list (along with 1000000 other books)


message 10: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Ezgi Tülü (Athena'nın Güncesi) wrote: "You should really read the Ocean at the End of the Lane !! I haven't read Stardust, so I can't say much about it, but the Ocean is my favourite Neil Gaiman book :)"

I just love the title and cover already


message 11: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Leonard Yes, the movie is better. And yes, this book is a pretty disappointing one. But you should read other books of Gaiman's. 'The graveyard book', 'The ocean at the end of the lane'. These ones are really good. 'Neverwhere' too. You'll see he has a really unusual way of telling stories and he's really good at it!


message 12: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai I will read his other books at some point but they're not high on my list.


Marius Paulsen (Antari-kun) the film is pretty good, u should try it! :)


message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie I haven't read this book, but I wasn't very impressed with the film. I know others love it and if you're interested, I'd check it out. After reading your review and knowing that I didn't like the movie, I don't think I'm going to read the book myself.


Leona  Carstairs The movie is honestly wayyy better!! You should totally watch it!


message 16: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Leona wrote: "The movie is honestly wayyy better!! You should totally watch it!"

I will at some point :)


Joseph Dante I always have very lukewarm feelings when it comes to his novels. American Gods, his much-acclaimed fantasy, is one of the worst books I've ever read. I made it halfway through and had to stop.


message 18: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona yes the Movie is amazing and so funny and lovely with great actors. Go and watch it! the book is a letdown.


KatForsyth I WANT to like Neil Gaiman so much more than I actually do. I've read Neverwhere (ok), American Gods (hated), Stardust (meh, but the movie is wonderful), and The Graveyard Book (decent & enjoyable). I have to come to the conclusion that I'm just not a Gaiman fan. Though I still want to read Ocean.

The best thing he ever did was Good Omens, and that's only because apparently Terry Pratchett wrote most of it. It certainly FEELS more Pratchetty.


message 20: by Yas (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yas This is one of the few books where I prefer the movie. I haven't read much else by Gaiman, just Good Omens and one issue of DC/Vertigo's Sandman, and those I enjoyed! It's been a while since I read Stardust, but if I remember correctly the characters lacked a lot of depth for me.


Alice I totally agree! I was so disappointed with this book. The film is a lot more childish but I would say it is better!


message 22: by Ilse (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ilse I would definitely recommend 'neverwhere' I did very much enjoy stardust but because I had already gotten used to Gaimans writing through now one of my favourite books, stardust was more enjoyable for me to read (even though they have nothing to do with each other)


message 23: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Joseph wrote: "I always have very lukewarm feelings when it comes to his novels. American Gods, his much-acclaimed fantasy, is one of the worst books I've ever read. I made it halfway through and had to stop."

Oh god that one is still on my list. Have you seen the show?


message 24: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Mona wrote: "yes the Movie is amazing and so funny and lovely with great actors. Go and watch it! the book is a letdown."

Will do!


message 25: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai KatForsyth wrote: "I WANT to like Neil Gaiman so much more than I actually do. I've read Neverwhere (ok), American Gods (hated), Stardust (meh, but the movie is wonderful), and The Graveyard Book (decent & enjoyable)..."

Have you read Coraline though? I only know the comic book and the film but both are pretty good.


message 26: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Yas wrote: "This is one of the few books where I prefer the movie. I haven't read much else by Gaiman, just Good Omens and one issue of DC/Vertigo's Sandman, and those I enjoyed! It's been a while since I read..."

I think it will be the same for me. And yeah, they hardly had any depth.


message 27: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Alice wrote: "I totally agree! I was so disappointed with this book. The film is a lot more childish but I would say it is better!"

That's good to know :)


message 28: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Ilse wrote: "I would definitely recommend 'neverwhere' I did very much enjoy stardust but because I had already gotten used to Gaimans writing through now one of my favourite books, stardust was more enjoyable ..."

Neverwhere is still on my list :)


message 29: by Tani ~Hiatus~ (new)

Tani ~Hiatus~ I've watched the movie which fortunately I liked a lot. So I added this book in my tbr list. Thanks for letting me know that this book could be disappointing. Great review, Kai.


message 30: by J.S. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J.S. I agree! This is exactly how I felt about this one :(


message 31: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Taniksha wrote: "I've watched the movie which fortunately I liked a lot. So I added this book in my tbr list. Thanks for letting me know that this book could be disappointing. Great review, Kai."

Thank you :)


message 32: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai J.S. wrote: "I agree! This is exactly how I felt about this one :("

It's not the most outstanding book ever, I'm afraid.


message 33: by Savanah (new)

Savanah Gray Gaiman might be best known for American Gods, which is captivating. But I found his personal best work to be The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It's one of his shorter works but it feels like you've lost yourself for days & feels like a darker, but somehow, more charming version of the movie Stardust.


message 34: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Savanah wrote: "Gaiman might be best known for American Gods, which is captivating. But I found his personal best work to be The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It's one of his shorter works but it feels like you've..."

They're both still on my list but somehow I can't make myself pick them up


Ariane Honestly I love Neil Gaiman as an author but I can’t say I really liked this book. Found Tristan unlikeable and the love story didn’t do much for me. I suggest the Graveyard Book which is shorter than American gods if you want to give him another shot!! Or the Sandman graphic novels which are really captivating (but more of a commitment)


message 36: by Kai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kai Ariane wrote: "Honestly I love Neil Gaiman as an author but I can’t say I really liked this book. Found Tristan unlikeable and the love story didn’t do much for me. I suggest the Graveyard Book which is shorter t..."

Honestly, most of this book fell flat for me. And I feel like flat describes this book perfectly. The characters, the romance, the plot and even the magic. Just meh.


back to top