Kai's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

bookshelves: owned, finished-series, glbt, 2017

“If love is liking someone an awful lot, then I suppose I'm in love with several people.”

This book is utterly outstanding. The whole trilogy is. Just totally, absolutely wrecking and mindblowing.

It's two years ago that I read The Girl Who Played with Fire, probably four since The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I wanted to read book 3 right after book 2, but I went abroad for a year and didn't find the time to read it. When I returned I shied away from the sheer size of this book: 850 pages. Whenever I encounter a book this huge, I think of all the other books I could read instead.
After I finished All the Ugly and Wonderful Things (a book I can't recommend at all) I didn't know what to read next, but I was in the mood for a dark and twisted thriller or crime novel. And I finally decided to pick this one up.

I never thought Millenium #3 would pull me in like this. I mean, I knew that book 1&2 were amazing, but as I said before, a few years had passed since I last read them.
The characters alone are fantastic. While Blomkvist is a bit of a cliché, Salander is more than fascinating and the characters around these two have lots of depth. The size of the cast and the many POVs could easily be confusing, but Larsson gives them such shape and character that they are easily recognisable and very compelling. This whole book wouldn't work if it didn't have so many characters telling its story.
The plot twists killed me (and not only me). The story is captivating enough, but Larsson manages to surprise and shock you again and again and you never ever see it coming. That's the point, I guess. But still, Stieg Larsson is fantastic.
The writing has a few flaws. His dialogues, especially when there is lots of info-dumping, always go down the same way. At times, when his dialogues turn romantic, they turn cliché-like and slightly unrealistic. But I'm inclined to oversee that, especially when a book is as good as this one.

It could have been a little darker and dramatic though. Most of the time I felt almost safe. Larsson could have had me more on edge. The main characters had too much power and too much evidence in their hands. I knew they would win, I never even doubted it, and a little doubt would have made this book even more exciting.

Still, this book is perfect. I'm so excited to watch the movies now.

Find more of my books on Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

April 2, 2015 – Shelved
April 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 24, 2015 – Shelved as: owned
March 17, 2017 – Started Reading
page 119
14.51% "This book is so compelling"
page 211
25.73% "That's what I call a freakin plot twist. Bloody hell."
page 447
54.51% "I'm suffering from the just-one-more-page sickness. It's nearly 2 am and I'm dead tired but I want to keep reading so badly"
March 18, 2017 –
page 700
85.37% "This book. So good."
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: finished-series
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: glbt
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
March 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Enni (new)

Enni Linnavirta Great review! I definitely want to read that series (:

message 2: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Thanks :)

message 3: by Lara xoxo (new)

Lara xoxo nice review kai xo

message 4: by Alvaro (new) - added it

Alvaro Landin It's such a shame that Rooney Mara is not returning to the franchise. At least Noomi Rapace got more time with the character. Will you bae watching both versions or just the original ones?

message 5: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Alvaro wrote: "It's such a shame that Rooney Mara is not returning to the franchise. At least Noomi Rapace got more time with the character. Will you bae watching both versions or just the original ones?"

Both :) I'm intrested to see how they differ, though I expect the original one to be more gruesome and violent

Attack Salmon God yes the swedish one is omg. I cant unsee it. Like the American one better. Rooney Mara give Lisbeth a feminine side :)

message 7: by Alvaro (new) - added it

Alvaro Landin HOLY shit! Is just saw the "bae" on my previous comment. Sorry about that HAHAHA

message 8: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Min wrote: "God yes the swedish one is omg. I cant unsee it. Like the American one better. Rooney Mara give Lisbeth a feminine side :)"

Looking forward to watching both!

message 9: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Alvaro wrote: "HOLY shit! Is just saw the "bae" on my previous comment. Sorry about that HAHAHA"

Well I knew it was a typo so you're good ;)

James totally agree

message 11: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai James wrote: "totally agree"

message 12: by Elise (new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) Does this book give the series a good conclusion? I'm reluctant to start a series if you need to go further than this

message 13: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai It totally does :)

Edwin Yes! I love these characters.

message 15: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Edwin wrote: "Yes! I love these characters."

Same, they are written incredibly well!

message 16: by Thomas J. (new)

Thomas J. Benedict Great review, dude

message 17: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Thomas J. wrote: "Great review, dude"

message 18: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora It looks like a really good book to read thanks Kai

message 19: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars