Kai's Reviews > Just Listen

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

bookshelves: owned, 2017

"There comes a time when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you'd better learn the sound of it. Otherwise you'll never understand what it's saying."

This was spectacular. After the disappointment that was Saint Anything I wasn't motivated to try another Sarah Dessen novel for a while. However I was looking for a nice summer read and Just Listen popped into my head. Many of my friends told me that it was their favourite Dessen book (mine is The Truth About Forever) and I decided that it was time I read it.

Sarah Dessen's books are always the same: it's a typical American chick lit novel. A pretty main character who pretends everything is perfect, high school cliques, surburban moms and a cute, handsome love interest. You could narrow it down to that, but it's so much more. Sarah really managed to surprise me. Behind the facade of the typical light summer read hides a thoughtful story. Maybe that is because my expectations were so low, but I didn't think that I would love this book so much. The only things I could criticise is the rather plain main character and her father. A husband and father of three daughters shouldn't evade arguments. He shouldn't run for cover when the talk turns to menstruation or buying tampons. He should man up.

There are a few things you should know before you go into this book. It deals with difficult topics, such as depression, eating disorders and rape. But in my opinion Sarah Dessen handled them extremely well and I am again surprised that she dared to bring so much heaviness and depth to this novel. That is also what impressed me the most, though.

I wonder if Sarah's newest book is just as good as this one. I might just have to check it out.

Find more of my books on Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Listen.

April 2, 2015 – Shelved
April 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 22, 2015 – Shelved as: owned
June 25, 2017 – Started Reading
June 25, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
June 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Charpentier I was wondering if I should buy this book and read it... I'm still wondering.

message 2: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai How come? Personally, I can recommend it.

message 3: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Charpentier Kai wrote: "How come? Personally, I can recommend it." Thanks, I might read it some day.

message 4: by Kadi (new) - added it

Kadi P One of my all time favourite books. I'm not a big fan of mushy romance books but I loved this. Not many of Sarah Dessen's books had the same effect on me as this one did

Margaret I was surprised to love this book too! I was expecting it to be light and fluffy but it was so so much more

message 6: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Neither am I, Kadi, but the romance wasn't the main plot point in this book so there was room for many other great things.

message 7: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Same, Margaret :)

Alexa Great review!! Some of the Sarah Dessen books that I've read and loved include: The Moon and More, What Happened to Goodbye, Dreamland, and Someone Like You if you're interested in more Dessen rec's :P

message 9: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai I own two or three other books of hers, not sure which one I'll read next 😊

Elizabeth Why is "The Truth About Forever" your favorite book by Sarah Dessen?

message 11: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Elizabeth wrote: "Why is "The Truth About Forever" your favorite book by Sarah Dessen?"

It's been a long time since I've read it but I remember falling head over heels in love with this book.