Terence's Reviews > Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

23206148

it was ok

He said, "I must tell you that while I was forced to guard you and you were making my life harder by being so stubbornly annoying, I fell in love with you for no apparent reason."

She said, "Truly?! While you were guarding me I also fell in love with you despite you not letting me have my way. It's clear that we must be wed since we love each other so."

I said, "I'm too old for this sh**."

Falling Kingdoms was very very young adult. I thought perhaps it was along the lines of a young adult story that is more mature and interesting in nature, but that wasn't the case. I blame Joe Abercrombie his young adult stories made me forget what real young adult stuff looks like, but truly this is my fault it says its genre is young adult. Reviewers kept mentioning how many people died in the story too which made me think it was a more mature young adult, but the majority of the deaths had little weight to them and hardly felt real.

I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but a books cover should have something to do with the book. There is no cool hooded warrior taking on all comers and winning against impossible odds as the cover hints at. Truthfully there is barely any fighting except for the last 60 pages or so.

So although I didn't give Falling Kingdoms a high rating please fans of the young adult genre don't let that dissuade you. I came in looking for the young adult A Game of Thrones not kids with magic and swords proclaiming their love and hate in a nearly elementary school fashion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Kingdoms.

April 2, 2015 – Shelved
April 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 28, 2015 – Started Reading
May 2, 2015 –
page 185
44.9% "Forbidden love, it just seems to be missing the mark though."
May 3, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Heather I always have difficulty rating YA books as I know I should expect shoddy prose or dubious plot, but it can be so painful! You really cannot trust YA ratings on here.

Terence Heather wrote: "I always have difficulty rating YA books as I know I should expect shoddy prose or dubious plot, but it can be so painful! You really cannot trust YA ratings on here."

Agreed. It certainly had dubious plot and unrealistic characters. I should know better but the cover and A Game of Thrones comparison tricked me. I just have to remember every book rating is reflective of the general target audiences feelings. If I'm not part of the target audience I have to realize I'm likely to rate it lower than most people who are part of it. Oh well it was a fast read at least.

message 3: by Conor (new) - added it

Conor I said, "I'm too old for this sh**.

Lethal Weapon: the greatest film franchise ever?

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Nice review! The opening quotes made me laugh, actually. Though I probably give it a chance anyway; I like YA books, but I prefer them to be plot-centered.

Terence Conor wrote: " I said, "I'm too old for this sh**.

Lethal Weapon: the greatest film franchise ever?"

Anna wrote: "Nice review! The opening quotes made me laugh, actually. Though I probably give it a chance anyway; I like YA books, but I prefer them to be plot-centered."

I'm glad you liked them, I was hoping to at least get some smirks out of them. I don't hate young adult, but I've run into too many YA books with weak to no plot and the dumbest characters ever.

message 6: by Conor (new) - added it

Conor Terence wrote: "Lethal Weapon, I don't know if it's the best ever; it's certainly an awesome movie series. Those were the days, back when people loved Mel Gibson."

When contemplating the greatest work of cinema of all time you have to ask yourself: did Citizen Kane ever match the masterful tension and emotional involvement of the bomb-in-the-toilet scene in LW3?

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Terence wrote: "I don't hate young adult, but I've run into too many YA books with weak to no plot and the dumbest characters ever."

Yeah, that's certainly is the problem with some books.

Derrik Peterson YA fantasy is very hit an miss and this one was a lot more miss than hit. Book 2 is slightly better and book 3 is actually decent. My wife really liked them but I've read a lot of better YA fantasy series.

Terence Derrik wrote: "YA fantasy is very hit an miss and this one was a lot more miss than hit. Book 2 is slightly better and book 3 is actually decent. My wife really liked them but I've read a lot of better YA fantasy..."

I feel like a lot of things are hit or miss, but YA is definitely more like that than other genres I read. Do you any recommendations for strong YA books?

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne So sorry you didn't like this one, Terrance. I think it helps if YA is one of your preferred genres. Great review, though!

Terence Anne wrote: "So sorry you didn't like this one, Terrance. I think it helps if YA is one of your preferred genres. Great review, though!"

Thank you Anne. It's fine, no one likes everything. I agree someone whose preferred genre is YA would've enjoyed this more than I did.

Heather I cannot understand how anyone likes this book. It's non-stop angst and talking and thinking about emotions. Cleo is by far the most annoying character I've encountered in awhile.

Terence Heather wrote: "I cannot understand how anyone likes this book. It's non-stop angst and talking and thinking about emotions. Cleo is by far the most annoying character I've encountered in awhile."

Yeah I truly don't see the appeal.