C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Accident Season

The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2015, contemporary, paranormal, read-2015, young-adult

THIS STORY IS SO WILDLY MARVELLOUS. You know those kind of stories that just glue themselves to your soul? And you just keep turning pages thinking, "omg was this made for me?" WELL. I JUST FOUND MINE. I can't possibly love The Accident Season more. Omg. It reminded me of The Darkest Part of the Forest and The Raven Boys, which are two of my most favourite books EVER. It's just so full of that deliciously visual writing and it blurs the lines of reality and contemporary and the characters are all so REAL and fleshed out. Like, literally, I'm gasping like a dried fish here. IT IS SO ASTOUNDINGLY BEAUTIFUL.

Ahem.

So let me talk about the characters. Ajfksdla where do I even start? It's mainly about 4 teens. Cara (the narrator) and her sister Alice and her stepbrother Sam. They are the most adorable sibling(ish) trio of ever. They're close. They love each other. They indulge each other's fantasies and are THERE for each other. They're all a bit wild, like they swallowed a teaspoon of magic when they were born. AND THEY ALL HAVE HUGE PROBLEMS. They are adorable. I love them. And then there's Bea, the fourth part of their group, who is Cara's BFF. She's like a quirky eclectic tarot-card reader, who's sort of ignored at home, so she's adopted into Sam, Cara, and Alice's circle. I love their friendship, particularly how strong it is, and how they grow and change and struggle...but they don't LOSE who this closeness. YAY JUST YAY YAY YAY. I'm so tired of books where friends break up and move on. I just love when they stick together. Also SAM IS JUST THE MOST ADORABLE THING IN THE WORLD. He reminded me of Sam from Shiver, actually. Minus the paper cranes and the tendency to turn into a wolf. (Small details.)

Then the writing. OMG THE WRITING. It totally just was beautiful, although I do admit I got lost a bit: particularly toward the end. Sometimes it floated so much between reality and air that I just got lost in the blurred lines. BUT BAH. That doesn't stop me from appreciating the beautifulness.
I think Bea could set up her own secrets booth, sell all the unsaid things for ten cents a pound. How many secrets would fit into a pound? I wonder.

I was absolutely hooked in and just the visuals. THE VISUALS. The writing was like an ice cream that does a party in your mouth and in your brain. MY ENTIRE BRAIN LOVED THIS BOOK, OKAY???

Also the premise was just delicious. It's a little bit contemporary, a little bit magical, a little big ghosts, and a little bit creepy. Once a month every year, Cara's family have this "accident season". Just where EVERYTHING goes wrong. People even die. It's just about their family though, so Bea isn't affected. But they totally just have to avoid open fires and walk carefully -- and they still end up with a million bruises. (Omg, I just love this premise.) I often felt the accidents weren't that bad. Like possibly it was a bit of an over-reaction. BUT BAH. I have a bit of an analytical brain and sometimes I need to shushhhhh. Anyway. IT WAS GLORIOUS. It really focused on relationships too, and it kind of reminded me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower and particularly the quote of "you accept the love you think you deserve".

BASICALLY THIS BOOK STOLE MY HEART AND IS NOW ONE OF MY TOP FAVOURITES OF EVER. I plan to hug this book for eternity. I just will. It's that kind of book that just was all for me. So I love it. So therefore everyone should read it. Go now, what are you even waiting for. READ IT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accident Season.

Quotes C.G. Liked

“All witches keep their kisses in everyday objects, so that their hearts won’t break too often.”
Moïra Fowley-Doyle, The Accident Season

April 2, 2015 – Shelved
April 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 19, 2015 – Started Reading
July 19, 2015 –
page 60
21.43% "It almost sort of kind of reminds me of The Raven Boys. :')"
July 19, 2015 –
page 89
31.79% "The door swings open in a creepy house...\n YEAH. JUST GO IN. Great idea. Solid idea. Yup."
July 20, 2015 –
page 199
71.07% "Omg, stop being so intensely amazing. I'M IN LOVE."
July 20, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
July 20, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015
July 20, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 20, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal
July 20, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
July 20, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 20, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

rachel ☾ Oh my God, this sounds incredible! Sam from Shiver is one of my fave characters of all times! I'm logging onto my library right now to get a copy of this. Ahh, fantastic review! I NEED this so bad now.

rachel ☾ ^Oh, I just realised this book hasn't been published yet... *cries*

The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori) I'm so happy that you really enjoyed this one so much! I have this in my queue to read and it just looks incredible.

C.G. Drews @Rachel: Omg, really? I GOT IT FROM MY LIBRARY. :O It's not out yet??? My library has magic powers. mahwhwh.

@Oliva: IT IS SO GOOD. It's so totally one of my favourites of the year. :')

rachel ☾ @Cait Oh my, really!? :O Bloody hell is that an incredible library or what!? I certainly need one of those for myself! (It says on the GR page that it isn't released until August 18th...?) I'll check my library out just in case. :")

Kara AHHH. This. Sounds. So. Good. Reaaaally looking forward to it.

@Rachel: Where do you live? It's out here in Australia--I've seen it in bookstores. :)

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily Mead OOOOOH REALLY WANT TO READ THIS NOW

C.G. Drews @Rachel: IT IS A GOOD LIBRARY. Except, tbh, we never get in new releases, so I was uber surprised this was in. It must be out earlier in Australia!

C.G. Drews @Kara: IT IS JUST SPECTACULAR. And like the first time ever that Australia has a book out before the US?! haha. *awards Australia*

@Emily: IT IS MAGICAL AND FANTASTIC.

message 10: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah O'Carroll I love when you get excited and love something and fangirl, Cait! ^_^ It is a beautiful thing to read about. :D

The premise of an accident season is awesome. (I think it probably happens to me... >.>)

And sometimes things come out in Australia first; like apparently Stone Rider wasn't out here yet when it was published there. (I keep seeing ads for Stone Rider and other things that you've reviewed and I'm like I KNOW WHAT THAT BOOK IS. CAIT TOLD ME. It's kind of awesome. XD)

rachel ☾ @Kara I'm an Aussie too. I'll check my local shop next visits. Thanks! :)

@Cait Hmmm it must have been released early. My library only has a copy of the audiobook.

Kirsti Huh, maybe some stores did release it a little early? I read it ten days ago and bought it the day before that. Yay for early releases, that never happens. I never even noticed the date.

Isabella Great review! Ijust fjnished the book and loved it! It's certainly one of my favourite books now.

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Isabella: YAY I AM SO GLAD! :D

Rebecca Your review managed to say everything I wanted to say about this book. Mainly that this book is amazing and lovely and a part of my soul now and I just want to cuddle it forever.

Lukas Christensen I fully agree! Loooved it

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm surprised this book isn't more famous. For me, it was very original. Like, i thought it was contemporary and then horror (Elsie started to creep me out) and then fantasy because what was all tis ghost, magic stuff? LIKE WHAT GENRE IS THIS PLEASE?
I think the relationships were messed up though. I mean Cara's kissing Toby, Bea, Sam, ya know. LIKE MAKE UP YOUR MIND. and I'm just like WHAAAT?
And don't you think it was a bit crazy at some point? LIKE the party, WOOOW, messed.
THE WRITING STYLE was all so magical and descriptive and hazy and ASDFGHJKL so I agree with you very strongly there.
It's definitely unforgettable. Like SAM is just so AWESOME and The Accident Season wasssss annn aweeesoomme premise. Though I would have liked them to dwell on it more.
I LIKED ELSIE THOUGH because I still don't get her. HOW WAS SHE IN ALL PICTURES? Was she a ghost, like what even is happening. For me, it was a little messed up, especially all the GHOST, PARTIES, RELATIONSHIPS, SECRET BOOTHS and CHARACTERS but IN A VERYY GOOOOD WAYYY.

Fottex Ikr! This book honestly spoke to me and it's exactly what I needed. I love your review. And yes, Sam was totally like Sam.