Rabiah's Reviews > Torment

Oct 01, 2010

bookshelves: own, signed
Read in September, 2016 , read count: 2

RE-REVIEW

Originally posted at: https://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/...

I'm rereading the Fallen series because of a blog tour that I'm a part of coming up in November for the release of Unforgiven in paperback. I'm glad that I reread Torment, because I clearly didn't understand much of it reading the book the first time round. It might be me getting older and actually comprehending stuff, but yeah–I wasn't left perplexed by the end as I was four or five years ago. Also, that's also probably the reason why the third book Passion didn't make too much sense. Now I get to go into that with a clearer understanding!

Oh geez, Luce's character tormented (get it?!) me throughout this book. I wanted her to be a stronger heroine compared to the last book; a girl with a little more backbone. I got my wish (somewhat), but ugh, it seems like that confidence made her even MORE unlikeable. Why do you have to be so stupid? I mean it absolutely drives me nuts, the way this girl thinks: Daniel AND Cam told me not to leave campus for some reason, and they keep on talking about my "protection"...meh, imma roll out. What could possibly happen? I mean, the last time I left some chick tried to kill me, but that was just a coincidence, right? RIGHT?

Oh god, the idiocy of this child.

Again, like the last book, the other characters were amazing compared to Luce. I loved Shelby–she was the quirky, outspoken one taking over Arriane's place...kind of–and Miles. I was reading my first review for Torment (only some slight cringes along the way...maybe I'd started to write better reviews? Who knows), and apparently I hated him. Well, damn, I'm doing a complete 180˚ because I LOVED him this time round. I don't know why, but I think the pretty sickening lovey-dovey way that Daniel gives up everything for Luce (ugh, somebody also needs a stronger backbone!) and his over-obsession with her–which is, okay, kinda understandable because of the whole in-love-with-her-for-several-centuries thing–slightly changed my view on him. For now I'm leaning more towards Team Miles, although I'm sure it'll never happen. Miles is sweet and I seriously don't know why I hated him so much to begin with–probably my obsession with Daniel–but, I'm hoping to read more about him in the coming books. I even liked Cam a lot more in this book! I love the truce that the angels and demons made, because I enjoy it when opposite teams join forces. I can't remember much of what happens in the next book, but I'm hoping this sort of collaboration continues.

With the main character slightly more annoying than the first book, I would recommend Torment for the plot and other characters. I'm enjoying rereading the series so far, and this one–on top of having probably the most gorgeous cover–shows that the stakes are higher and nothing is as it seems. I'm looking forward to digging into Passion next, and then finally getting to Rapture to see how it all ends.

------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Originally Posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

Have I mentioned how much I love the first book? and how much of an idiot I was for not reading it WHEN I GOT SOOO MANY CHANCES TO? Well, I'm glad I got this book, it was SO AMAZING. I loved every second of reading it.

We return again, with Luce and this time she's going to this boarding school in California...and her classmates are offspring of fallen angels and humans. She's different, yet she's popular, because practically every student (well, not the human ones) happens to know stories of her and Daniel. This makes her even more curious about her past, and she also learns how to master the Shadows and how she can use them to access her past lives. With her new friends, Miles and Shelby, she manages to do so.

I love how in this one, everyone comes together to fight the Outcasts. Both sides of the Fallen Angels come together to do so. I just loved the Thanksgiving bit, where everyone gets together and where all the action is...but that's at the very end, so NO WAY am I gonna spoil such an amazing book for you...no matter how bad I really want to.

I really don't like Miles. I really don't. I mean, as a friend he's nice and all, but *SPOLIER ALERT!* as he makes a move on Luce? No thanks, and I feel so bad for Daniel after that! I mean, he witnesses the whole thing. But Daniel in this book is pretty moody, he hides a lot from Luce, so I don't blame her if she moves on from him. But then, of course, all is forgotten and they're back together again :).

I really do keep on thinking about the song "Angels" by Within Temptation when I read this series. I mean, it fits so perfectly with the plot! I love the bit of the song where it goes:

"Sparkling angel, I couldn't see
Your dark intentions, your feelings for me.
Fallen angel, tell me why?
What is the reason, the thorn in your eye?
I see the angels,
I'll lead them to your door
There's no escape now
No mercy no more
No remorse cause I still remember"

I thought it fit, kinda well. Especially the "Fallen angel" bit. I also found another song by Within Temptation that fits. "What Have You Done" featuring Keith Caputo. I think the chorus:

"I, I've been waiting for someone like you
But now you are slipping away... oh
What have you done now?
Why? Why does Fate make us suffer?
There's a curse between us
Between me and you"

Goes perfectly with this book. I dunno, it's weird how all these songs come to me when I'm reading this series. It generally doesn't with most books, but this book is an exception.

Well, I loved this book from start to finish. Fallen Angels, Battles Heaven vs. Hell and a Match made in Heaven (Literally) Torment is an amazing addition to the paranormal world of literature, same with Fallen. Can't wait for Passion!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torment.

09/01/2016 marked as: read