Gayle's Reviews > Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Oct 01, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: everyone
Read from February 15 to March 03, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** A remarkable book. This is the story of pain and grief, told through the eyes of several characters: Oskar, his mother, his grandmother, his grandfather. It's the story of profound love and loss.

What makes it remarkable to me is the rawness of the dialog and how that style lends itself to the sadness in the story. I found myself waiting for Oskar to find a way to resolve his feelings and find hope from the beginning of the book.

Every adventure of his unfolds a new story about the lives he touched in his search for the lock that his key would open. Without knowing it, he would change the lives of many people.

His grandmother's last letter was beautiful and tied many things together.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. I'll be curious to see how the director can pull together the emotion from the book - emotion that is stated in thoughts and words on paper, not spoken.

+++ Update +++
I saw the movie. Wow! Powerful! There are several differences in the movie, but I believe the differences make the story better. The movie did not go into the great detail around the relationship between Oskar's grandparents. By doing so, I think the movie had more clarity and focus. The ending of the movie was different, and to me, it rounded out the story - brought it to a more satisfying conclusion. There was better resolution for Oskar in the movie.

A favorite part of the movie for me was when Oskar was telling his story to his grandfather. Fabulous acting!

Oskar's narration about the letters to all of the Blacks at the end was a great idea.

I loved the movie - maybe more than the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

02/25/2012 page 152