Dan Schwent's Reviews > Ghost Walk

Ghost Walk by Brian Keene

Dec 07, 2016

bookshelves: 2016-books, 2016

When Ken Ripple decided to build a haunted road, The Ghost Walk, he has no idea what horror will be unleashed. Can Amish sorcerer Levi Stoltzfus stop unspeakable horror from entering the world and devouring it?

I've read a couple Brian Keene books (The Lost Level and King of The Bastards) in the past and the hints at his Labyrinth mythos grabbed my attention. So, when Ghost Walk popped up for 99 cents for one day only, my decision was made.

Ghost Walk is the tale of an evil trying to enter the world and the man trying to stop it. Levi Stoltzfus is a very compelling character, hearkening to Roland Deschain of The Dark Tower series and The Rider from Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter, although he's not a ripoff of either by any means. Levi is a sorcerer who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, as long as it's God's will, and is surprisingly heartless at times. Seriously, Levi has a lot of potential and I hope Keene has him live up to it in future books.

The menace isn't as compelling as the character but is fairly chilling since it plays on its victims' worst fears. The way Levi dealt with it seemed logical given the workings of magic in Keene's universe. There was a little gore but not near as much as Keene is known for. The writing isn't spectacular but is more than adequate for the job. While he's no Elmore Leonard, Keene's dialogue is still pretty slick, balancing the horror with humor.

I don't really have many gripes with this book. I probably should have read Dark Hollow first but I didn't feel in the dark by any means. Reading more Brian Keene and Levi Stoltzfus will be one of my 2017 priorities. Four out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Walk.

April 1, 2015 – Shelved
December 6, 2016 –
December 7, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-books
December 7, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
December 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* Great review. I loved Dead Sea - one of my favorite horror books ever - but I couldn't finish another one of his. I need to give more of his stuff a try.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Great review. I loved Dead Sea - one of my favorite horror books ever - but I couldn't finish another one of his. I need to give more of his stuff a try."

I've been wanting to try more Keene for a while but since I'm not doing zombies anymore, it took a while to find the right one.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda NEVER MANDY Great review! Keene is the one author that has made me ill while reading his books. I consider that an accomplishment.

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Building a haunted road is a thing that people decide to do?

message 5: by Stefan (new) - added it

Stefan Svartling Sounds interesting

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Amanda wrote: "Great review! Keene is the one author that has made me ill while reading his books. I consider that an accomplishment."

I remember feeling nauseous while I was reading Tim Curran's Sow .

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Miriam wrote: "Building a haunted road is a thing that people decide to do?"

I've been on a couple but they're not terribly common.