Leann's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Oct 01, 2010

bookshelves: for-review, printed-book, own, favorites
Read in October, 2010 — I own a copy

My Summary: When Amy decides to join her parents to embark on a 300 year journey to a new planet, she has no idea just what she's gotten herself into.

After forcibly waking up from her frozen state fifty years too early, Amy finds herself in a society unlike the one she's grown up knowing on Earth. Here on Godspeed, Eldest is in charge, and his protégé, Elder, is learning what it takes to lead the ship. Here on Godspeed, Amy is different...and different is not always a good thing.

There's a killer on the loose, murdering slumbering people who are vital for when the ship lands on the new planet. Fearing for her parent's safety, Amy teams up with Elder and his friend Harley to figure who is behind these murderous deeds, delve into the secrets the Godspeed is hiding, and try to find out just who is going to be the next target. But some secrets may be too much for any of them to handle....

Review: This book is so incredible that I would walk across the universe just to get a copy. But thankfully, that's what bookstores are for (whew!).

The narrative switches from Amy to Elder, alternating every chapter and giving a whole view on two different types of lives. Amy's the girl from Earth, the free spirit, she loves to run, misses her boyfriend, and desperately misses her parents - who are still in a frozen state. Elder is young as well, trying to learn how to be the next Eldest of the ship, and struggling since the current Eldest refuses to tell him everything. Both characters are fresh, developed and easy to differentiate from one another when reading. I didn't have a character I preferred, although Amy's perspective is the one reader's will easy relate with, since she's experiencing the unusualness of Godspeed.

Godspeed is without a doubt easily visualized (thanks to the very neat map in the book). But more importantly, this book keeps you thinking about the issues taking place. There is some romance, but mysteries lie at the core of this novel. There will be questions, guesses, and finally, there will be answers. The first novel of what will likely be a captivating trilogy, Across the Universe is already on my best of 2011 list.

Highlights: Relationships are built and delved into slowly, realistically. The entire story is very well fleshed-out. The technology and social differences were fascinating and intriguing. Honestly, I think I could praise this book all day. Across the Universe is incredible, and an exciting mystery to watch unfold.

Lowlights: This book was everything I wanted and expected it to be. No complaints.
1 like · flag

Quotes Leann Liked

Beth Revis
“I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one.”
Beth Revis, Across the Universe

Beth Revis
“This is the secret of the stars, I tell myself. In the end, we are alone. No matter how close you seem, no one else can touch you. ~ Amy”
Beth Revis, Across the Universe