Alazzar's Reviews > The Maxx, Vol. 1

The Maxx, Vol. 1 by Sam Kieth

3531937

I had the first issue of The Maxx in my comic collection as a kid, though I don't remember anything about it aside from the cover art. (Back then, I was prone to buying #1 issues "just because.") But in my old age I've become more interested in the actual stories in comic books, so when I saw something online that mentioned The Maxx I decided I should check it out.

Based on the first six issues, I kind of love it.

The Maxx is a weird book. It's dark and it's different, and it doesn't dumb things down by explicitly stating what's going on. (When it comes to comics, a common gripe of mine is poorly handled exposition.) It's just much more bizarre and mature than most other titles in this medium.

And even though art is rarely a make-or-break factor for me when it comes to comics (if the story is decent, I typically don't much care what the pictures looks like), I feel the need to discuss it here--specifically, the page layouts. Sam Kieth's panels have such odd shapes to them that the art seems to be running wildly about the page, adding to the dreamlike quality of the book. I wasn't at all surprised to learn that Kieth had actually drawn some of the earliest issues of Neil Gaiman's Sandman .

If you like the dark, and the bizarre, and comics in general (or maybe even just two of the three), give The Maxx a shot. It's a little weird, but that's exactly how it should be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maxx, Vol. 1.

March 31, 2015 – Started Reading