Bee Halton's Reviews > Becoming One: A Story of Triumph Over Dissociative Identity Disorder

Becoming One by Sarah E. Olson

bookshelves: reviews, constantly-reading-on-and-off, survivors-thrivers

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review:

#amreading this book since February and it had a deep impact on me. At times it was hard to read what Sarah had to go through as a child. There have been parts that I could not read because they were just too close to home. And it has triggered memories that I rather would not have seen. Still I believe like her that it is important for the healing process to have a look exactly where it hurts and why. It clearly has helped me to get to the next step of healing.

I know about Dissociative Identity Disorder since many years but I believe even if you have no idea what it means this book will give you a brilliant insight. Of course the idea that there are more than one person in a body is scary and confusing. But if you are open to this fact and can get over the notion that a person with DID is crazy then you will learn an awful lot about what abuse in childhood means for an adult.

You do not forget. Your soul does use any means possible to deal with the memory even if it is not available to your consciousness. And once you are ready and safe your soul will ask you to take charge of your life and your memories and to process them. There is no way of escaping that and that is so often the difficulty because how can you?

Thank goodness there are therapists out there like Howard Asher who are understanding enough and tenacious enough to go on the journey of healing with survivors to help them become a thrivers.

This book no matter how hard the topic is is also a testament to the fact that you can heal from childhood abuse and that you can live the life that you were supposed to life. That you can process what happened and life a good life afterwards. It is hard. It is a challenge but it is possible. This is a book one should read no matter what!

PS: I have written an early review on my blog for the publishing date of this revised and new e-book version of "Becoming One" something I do not usually do. But I believe this is an important book and therefore it was important to me to give it as much publicity as I can. You can find my early review here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming One.

March 31, 2015 – Started Reading
March 31, 2015 – Shelved
March 31, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 3, 2015 –
29.0% "This is a tough but also an inspirational book I will be #amreading on and off"
April 8, 2015 –
April 9, 2015 –
33.0% "So much in this book sounds so familiar... #amreading"
April 11, 2015 –
37.0% "a very intense journey #amreading this book :-)"
April 27, 2015 –
April 28, 2015 –
45.0% "This is a book of power :-) #amreading"
April 30, 2015 –
51.0% "So hard to read at times but deep impact"
May 2, 2015 –
May 3, 2015 –
May 5, 2015 –
82.0% "enlightening book but hard to read at times. Will #amreading it on and off though"
May 6, 2015 –
90.0% "Nearly finished. Wondering how it ends #amreading"
May 6, 2015 – Shelved as: reviews