C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Demon King

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2015, epic-fantasy, read-2015, young-adult, ya-male-narrators

Oh wow...oh wow oh wow oh wow. CAN I CONFESS THAT THIS IS MY NEW FAVOURITE FANTASY OF EVER!?!??! Because I am confessing. This is not a drill peoples. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. It has everything I want and love in an epic fantasy. Seriously the whole time I was just sitting there gasping, "WAS THIS BOOK WRITTEN FOR ME?!!? OMG?!?!?"

Epic Things This Book Has That Makes My Small Heart Pleased:
• It has a Matriarchy and a Queendom. YES THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS. WOMEN RULE. (Although there still is puzzling sexism despite this, but pfft, I'm willing to look past that.)
• There are wizards and magic and it all has RULES. Omg, I love this. I love when magic has rules because it feels more real. And I love the detail of the magic system! I've only read detailed magic systems in Brandon Sanderson's books so it was mega pleasing to have that here too.
• THIEVES. I REPEAT! GRIFTERS! CHARMERS! THIEVES.
• Two epic dual narrators who are sassy and strong and interesting and stubborn and awesome.
• A HUGE fantasy world with tons of culture!!
• So much questions. So much need of answers.
• DID I MENTION IT's A FREAKING QUEENDOM!?!?!? This makes me so happy.

So basically this book could do no wrong. And the characters! omg, the CHARACTERS! I loved them all. It's basically dual narrated by Raisa (heir queen) and Hans (retired streetlord and thief). They were both epic I couldn't even pick a favourite! Hans was all swagger and scruff (and he loved his family really fiercely) and he was always in trouble and had such a smart mouth. And Raisa was epically stubborn and sassy and really cared about her queendom. She didn't want to be a puppet queen. NOT EVER.

And then for secondary characters...omg where to even start?!?! Amon was Raisa's childhood friend and guard, and he was so loyal and cute and PRECIOUS LITTLE STUBBORN THING. And then Hans' BFF, Fire Dancer, was epic (although not in the story that much) and a bit of a tortured soul. Basically every time a character was introduced they were interesting and dimensional. I so loved this.

Although: SMALL WARNING! It says Hans is a "reformed thief" on the backcover. SO TAKE NOTE. He doesn't actually do any thieving. He's still partially embroiled in the life, but yeah. Don't go in expecting multitudes of heists and cons. (This could've disappointed me? But it didn't because everything else was so so glorious.)

Oh and I feel like one of the people groups of the book were influenced by Native American culture! That's what I surmise anyway. But I love this! Because I hadn't read a fantasy book with that kind of influence yet. But they had names like "Fire Dancer" and "Hunts Alone" and YEAH. So that's what I was imagining when they were wearing their deerskin leggings and learning healing and stuff. And they're a really POWERFUL and important people group. Plus I loved how there were so many cultures and groups of people in here. Like the townsfolk were your average medieval scruffbags. And then the rich people were nearly Renaissance fantasy. Plus add in all the wizards and the wizard and warrior schools. IT JUST HAD EVERYTHING. How did this book have everything and yet manage to write it all perfectly and detailed and interestingly?! I'm in awe I tell you.

HAVE I GUSHED ENOUGH YET?!? ARE YOU CONVINCED??!

Because there are also epic conspiracies and plot twists and so. much. law. I mean, it probably gets a bit info-dumpy? But at the same time it was interesting so I didn't even care there were long conversations about the past. I loved how there were swords and medieval-style lifestyles...BUT also that Renaissance flare. And the characters have totally captured my heart.

So basically. Go read this. I don't even know what else to say except: it is glorious and EVERYTHING a fantasy should be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon King.

March 31, 2015 – Shelved
March 31, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 15, 2015 – Started Reading
October 15, 2015 –
page 142
28.06% "IT HAS A MATRIACHY AND A QUEENDOM. ALERT ALERT. CAIT IS SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW."
October 16, 2015 –
page 255
50.4% "I'm totally imagining the "clan people" as like sort of Native Americans. I mean they have names like "Fire Dancer" and "Hunts Alone" and wear tribal sounding clothing. IDEK WHAT THE AUTHOR INTENDED, BUT I'M IMAGINING IT LIKE THIS."
October 17, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
October 17, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015
October 17, 2015 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
October 17, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
October 17, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 17, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Vasiliev I have heard a lot of good things about this! cant wait to see your review :)

C.G. Drews @Courtney: I have ONLY good things to say!! *dances*

Stephanie Diaz This book is my freaking favorite.

C.G. Drews @Stephanie: ME TOO. I need to devour this whole series ASAP now.

message 5: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee I think I'm resuming this one after I finish Steelheart!

C.G. Drews Ohh I want to read Steelheart. Do you like it?!?

Sarah Louise Yay!!! This is one of my favourite series. The books keep getting better and better, too. You just wait!! :D

Emma This is my favorite series! And The Crimson Crown (last book) is one of my favorite books of all-time. It makes me so happy that you love this book.

Lexie I need -
no, I need -
you don't understand, I NEED some good fantasy in my life right now!

I'm on such a fantasy kick, but everything I read is so underwhelming. BLESS THIS REVIEW AND ALL IT STANDS FOR! (QUEENDOM!)

*adds to TBR*

Wendy It only gets better!:)

message 11: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mo Murph I absolutely adore this series! You have a ton to look forward to in the next three books! Love Chima and so pumped for Flamecaster in 2016!!!!!

message 12: by Taylor (new) - added it

Taylor M. Barbour Glad to hear you enjoyed it! This is on my want-to-read list and I am looking forward to reading it, eventually.

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby I saw this on sale and I was itching to buy it since it's high fantasy aaaaand I love those. Now there's no reason for me to skip this book. I'll grab this the moment I go back to the bookstore! YAAAY

message 14: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie I have had this book for awhile and never got around to reading it. Needless to say, after your review I have to now!

message 15: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee Cait Grace wrote: "Ohh I want to read Steelheart. Do you like it?!?"

I LOVED IT! It's really awesome and I think you'll really like it too! :D It has supervillains, humor, lots of action and a funny MC that's kind of an anti-hero.

Yeldah This book was and still is everything to me!! I need to reread this series soon :D
It gets better with every book xD

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Yeldah: Yesssss. I've read the second book and am anxiously awaiting my order of the last two. xD

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Great, honest review! Hopefully I'll get to the series soon :D