Katie - The Literary Files's Reviews > Yes Please

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Mar 30, 2015

bookshelves: books-read-in-2015, memoir, audio-book

After binge watching Parks & Rec on Netflix I knew I wanted to read Amy Poehler's book. I love her sense of humor and straight-up honesty in her book, Yes Please. She talks about when she was working in Chicago, to her time at SNL, Parks & Rec days and her personal life.

I listened to the audiobook and followed along in the physical copy. I highly recommend listening to it! This was my first audiobook and I think I'll consistently listen to memoirs from now on. Amy is the narrator, she is just so funny and I felt like listening to Amy tell her own story added a whole other level to the book.

A little towards the middle, it got a little bit slow for me, but the first part of the book was awesome. There's a lot of funny parts, some bits of insight and a much appreciated look into Amy's past days in comedy.

I loved Amy's voice (both literary speaking and literally speaking) it stood out and made it seem like I was sitting down and talking with her. She's so likable and doesn't hesitate to bring up times when she wasn't the best person she could have been, which is awesome to see someone acknowledge their mistakes and it's inspiring too.

Overall, Yes Please is a wonderfully hilarious book with some serious bits mixed in. I loved learning more about Amy's Parks & Rec days and falling in love with her kick ass attitude.

If you've read and enjoyed Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) then I definitely recommend you pick up Yes Please, they both have that honest yet hilarious feel to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes Please.

Quotes Katie - The Literary Files Liked

Amy Poehler
“Because what else are we going to do? Say no? Say no to an opportunity that may be slightly out of our comfort zone? Quiet our voice because we are worried it is not perfect? I believe great people do things before they are ready.”

Amy Poehler
“You do it because the doing of it is the thing. The doing is the thing. The talking and worrying and thinking is not the thing.”

Amy Poehler
“Watching great people do what you love is a good way to start learning how to do it yourself.”

March 30, 2015 – Started Reading
March 30, 2015 – Shelved
March 30, 2015 –
page 149
45.29% "I'm listening to the audiobook and following along with the printed book. I love hearing Amy narrate, it's so good!! Can't wait to read more tomorrow!"
March 31, 2015 –
page 217
65.96% "Still loving it!"
April 3, 2015 – Shelved as: books-read-in-2015
April 3, 2015 – Shelved as: memoir
April 3, 2015 – Shelved as: audio-book
April 3, 2015 – Finished Reading

Helen Loved this review! I enjoyed the book and thought is was inspiring also! :-)